ABC3

Need "Blue Guns" for Holster making

I need several "Dummy Guns" (for holster making). Would you suggest the "Blue Gun" (such as Ring) or the "Metal" type. Where would the best pricing be?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I use Rings Blue guns, mostly because of the vast variety of models available and the ease of ordering them on-line. I have had a couple of them in service for a few years now and I haven't worn one out yet, so I am not sure what the benifit of metal would be, unless they are being used in a press.

-Tac

I use Rings Blue guns, mostly because of the vast variety of models available and the ease of ordering them on-line. I have had a couple of them in service for a few years now and I haven't worn one out yet, so I am not sure what the benifit of metal would be, unless they are being used in a press.

-Tac

Forgot to mention where I get some of mine....

http://www.copsplus.com/ringsblueguns.php

Tac;

Tx for the info. I forgot to mention - they will be used in a press. Do u think that would make a big difference?

I have never used a press for molding, so I can't say from experience. If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that the metal forms would perform better under that kind of stress.

There are benefits and detriments to either type.

"Blue Guns" are cleaner replicas, so they won't take any real work to put to use. The down side to them is that they will wear out and sometimes break when used in a press if you're careless. Be sure to order them directly from Rings and ask for non-painted models or you'll get lots of blue flecks in your holsters for some time.

The aluminum casts will last and take a lot of abuse, but they typically require quite a bit of clean up before they are usable (and you have to invest in the tools to be able to do it yourself, or pay someone to clean them up for you). What I mean by "clean up" is they may have casting lines, excess material in the ejection port, improperly sized trigger guards, and all sorts of other deformations that will make them unusable for holster making until they are worked over.

Some models of blue guns are available in black too.

I need several "Dummy Guns" (for holster making). Would you suggest the "Blue Gun" (such as Ring) or the "Metal" type. Where would the best pricing be?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry for the necro-post, but I was searching this topic and came upon this thread.

The Ring's version of the Makarov is not a Makarov, it's an FEG PA-64 and they are different/shorter at the muzzle enough that a tightly formed or closed end design make using them will not work with a true Makarov. I've emailed them letting them know. My favorite pro holsterer made me a sweet roughout leather version of the VM-II with the additional cant I like for my Mak, and now I'm either going to have to modify it or send it back (I'm going to modify it, as a top-line holster for the Mak is so hard to find).

Just thought I'd point this out so somebody doesn't end up with a dissatisfied customer, it is not a complaint against Ring's.

On that note, does anyone know where I can find a dummy gun that is a true Makarov?

Bob

I got my first order of blue guns from Cops Plus, but I got the second order from a member here, Shooter McGavin.

You can shop where you like for sure, . . . but I use Law Enforcement Target for all of my blue guns I need.

Law Enforcement Targets, Inc. - Shooting Targets, Paper Targets ...

www.letargets.com/Cached - SimilarYou +1'd this publicly. UndoLaw Enforcement Targets provides a full catalog of targets, including ...

Paper & Cardboard Targets - Steel Targets & Stands - Zombie Targets - Contact Us8802 W 35w Service Dr NE

Minneapolis, MN 55449

(651) 645-5246

Most of their guns are in the $33 to $36 price range, . . . and if they do not have it, they will arrange to have it directly shipped to you.

Most of the time, I am lucky enough to reach Cathy, . . . she does a great job.

I don't normally have any issues with the blue color coming off, . . . did once because of my own stupidity, . . . , and I have used a press, never broke one yet.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight