I lost my job in December - 2 weeks before Christmas. I was a programmer.

I have actually been finding myself inspired by the economic downturn and motivated to pull myself up by the bootstraps. I'm a creative type, and see opportunities everywhere, now that I look. Knitting isn't really efficient enough to pay the bills, but I could teach knitting at local shops. I could create patterns and sell them on the internet.

I'm also putting my programming skills to work, and branching out into possibly an "iPhone" type app that I could go independent with. Almost everywhere needs a website now, almost everywhere needs some IT work now and then - hey, I can do that.

I hear you on the depression front. It's not like someone can tell you to snap out of it and you're magically better. I admit to not being happy at my former job, but I'd convinced myself it was a good place for me, so it was all a shock. And the market is just so saturated with out of work programmers (and everything else) that I haven't heard back from a single application. But things aren't too bad, and at least I'm not driving 45 miles each way, eh? Plus, I've been dealing with some health issues that it's nice to relax and focus on getting taken care of now.

In any case, I'm new to the forum and haven't gotten the opportunity to talk to you much, but in my humble opinion, you should by any means necessary keep your tools. Handiwork is a fantastic release, and I imagine any psychologist will tell you the same. And you *will* improve, just like anything else, it takes time. Dive in and don't look back. You've got a ton going for you right now.

Get out there and do something novel, and people will come!

Des, I worked Nuclear Construction shutdowns for years. I have been laid off without a promise of a job so many times I can't begin to remember them all, but there is always something out there. First thing for you to do is get selling your leather tools out of your head. You can take a 4'' cement block, a belt strip, an Alphabet stamp set, and a little dauber or two of dye and sit on the corner and sell a belt, I've done it before. In 2002 I bought my house, a big mobile home in Feb., moved in the first Sat. in March. I was working in a water heater plant at one of the best, most enjoyable jobs I've ever had. I loved it, worked evening shift, only person there in my Dept., QC, and only 4 days a week. Off every Fri, Sat., and Sun. Then in Oct My Dr., found something wrong and made me quit working. I applied for SS disability and it took over 2 years to get started. The first 6 mos., I had short term disability from work, but for the next 19 nothing coming in officially. We were never late on a house payment, we kept the lights, water, and phone working and we didn't miss any meals, and I never even considered selling my leather tools and stuff. I didn't sell alot, but the main thing the leather working did was improved because I had more time to practice and it made me feel useful and productive rather than giving me a chance to dwell on my depression. You can make wrist bands with just a few 3-D stamps and dye and put a snap on and sell cheap to young people. Make keyfob/rings with an initial, or a 3-D stamp to sell. You only need a small piece of leather, a keyring, and a small rivet and there you have it. Make stuff in your shop/house, or whereever you work at and set up a table in the yard on Sat. anything might work. Des just hang in there and don't give up because things will get better. Some places have job training for displaced workers. It might be an opportunity to get some different traning than what you were doing that may help you get a better job. Just explore all your options. I am sorry to ramble on so, but like I said I as I'm sure a bunch of other here on the forum have been there and done that, and we know what you have to learn that things really do get better. You never know what's in store for the future, so wait and see and good luck to you. Remember that you will be much in our prayers here in S.C. Best wishes on all of your searches for what is best for you. Billy P :rockon::thumbsup::grouphug5vj5:

That woudl work if I had dyes and stuff i only have 1 dye and that's cactus green. I have an alphabet stamps. The only leather I have is a 5/6 side. My unemployment will be taken completely by debts that's why I know I cant just get a part time job cause 5-6 dollars wont cover my debt payments.

Des, your situation reminds me of the old quote "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." You can either sell your tools and eat your daily "fish", or see them as a boat and tackle and go fishing. You have options. While it is unfortunate that you have lost your job, it is very fortunate that you have tools and a side of leather. It is very fortunate that you have the time now to practice and do leatherwork. It is very fortunate that with your physical limitations you can still do leatherwork while you get in better shape. And it is extremely fortunate that you have the best group of people in the world here who can give you solid advice on how to improve your work when you post it. Most people who are happy and successful in life are not that way because good stuff has happened to them, but because they did good stuff with what happened to them.

Billy P and BubbleDragon, you are an encouragement and inspiration in your positive outlook and action even in difficult circumstances. Thanks for sharing with us.

I'm reminded of a story about Abraham Lincoln. During the Civil War, when our country was tearing itself apart and there was very little good news to be had, one of President Lincoln's children died. A reporter interviewed him and asked, "Do you think you'll ever be happy again?"

Lincoln looked at the reporter and replied, "I think most people are about as happy as they want to be."

He meant that it's in our power to decide to be happy or sad, positive or negative, optimistic or pessimistic. I know that sounds very simplistic, but it works for me.

That woudl work if I had dyes and stuff i only have 1 dye and that's cactus green. I have an alphabet stamps. The only leather I have is a 5/6 side. My unemployment will be taken completely by debts that's why I know I cant just get a part time job cause 5-6 dollars wont cover my debt payments.

Study the posts in this forum. You say that you have only one dye.... did you know that you can make black dye out of some rusty metal and vinegar??? Do a search on "vinegaroon".

There are so many techniques and methods that people here have to create great stuff on the cheap that it isn't even funny. You have to become receptive to WINNING. Stop focusing on what can't be done and start focusing on what can be done!

:Lighten::Lighten::Lighten:

Okay, now I see where you're at. Remember that nice long PM I sent you? That was me trying to encourage you. It appears that you also need some direction to go with the encouragement. So, here it is:

If you sell your tools, which might not happen overnight, you'll probably recoup LESS than $600. Sell the hide....no telling what you'll get for that. Sell your bottle of cactus green for maybe $5. Total: Less than $1000. Will that $1000 change everything? Does that one time payment give you enough cash to totally clear ALL your debts? I'm thinkin' probably not.

So, then you'll end up with less than $1000 to put toward your debts. Big deal.

Everyone who has responded on this thread has given you solid advice- both on the open forum, and no telling how many have sent PMs to you- and offered encourgement and ideas on how to change your situation. We can't change it for you but we will help YOU change it......if you let us.

( I just know I'm gonna sound like Dave Ramsey, but here goes....) Budget your money. and SELL THE CAR. Get a $500 beater of a car that will get you from A to B. Right now, you shouldn't be trying to squeeze blood from the pennies. If you've got to ride the unemployment train, fine, I pay taxes just like everyone else here and I'm okay with folks needing a leg up. But you have to understand this: YOU WILL NOT GET OUT OF DEBT ON UNEMPLOYMENT. Your credit is taking a large hit no matter what you do...unless you happen to find a large sum of cash. (not likely). Knowing that you will have a credit issue is very relaxing. You stop fretting over whether something is a day or a week late. You take a little of the money and go buy some vinegar, some steel wool, a pack of Sharpie markers (the pack with multiple colors), and a bottle of olive oil. There, for under $25 you've got the makings of a custom colorization kit. If you need to color large pieces, include a bottle of alcohol to dilute the sharpies with. The vinegar and steel wool are for Vinegaroon- search the forum for instructions for the best "black" dye. The olive oil is for finishing the leather. A sharp knife, some spit and the leg of your jeans makes for a dandy edge slicker. Now, you have some tools and leather already, we've (collectively) given over 100 years worth of leather knowledge, go make something!

Like I told you in the PM, there's opportunities where you least expect them....but you have to look for them and take advantage of them when you fine them. I understand that you're depressed because you lost your job. Lots of people have had that happen recently. Re-read Billy's post. It wasn't that he couldn't find a job, his doctor told him not to. And things got done.

Back to your credit: It's gonna get dented No Matter What. Tell them your situation, ask them to work with you. What are they gonna do, sue you? You've got no real assets- hence YOU'RE FREE!!!! It's taken me almost 3 years to get my credit mess cleaned up....but it's finally cleaned up. Start making things instead of watching T.V. , but start making things. Is there anything you need to make key fobs? I'm betting that at the asking this incredible group of people would have grosses of split rings, rivets, etc. at your door inside of a week. What about snaps for phone cases? There's a pattern recently posted for a horizontal phone holster. What I'm getting at is this: The tools, materials, ideas, knowledge...all of it is right here for the taking! Reach out and grab it. Once you start selling a few things, you'll see some cash flow and that is a wonderful feeling....try it out, you might like it.

Mike

Cant sell the car its not in my name so Im stuck paying it. My tools only cost 600 dollars total anyways ( Just started out I dont have a TON of tools ) Wish I didnt have to do unemployment but thats where Im being pushed into right now. It will pay off my Car payments each month since thats only 380. I shouldn't even be worrying as much it just hit me hard yesterday. I have it lucky compared to a lot of others who have been laid off. I dont have house payments. I dont have credit payments.

Edited by Des804

We care about you!

Don't sell your tools. Use them.

Make things that people need.

Business card holders. Fold over credit card wallets. I just used a scrap and some leftover lacing to make a credit card wallet.

It looks good. Very simple

Useful.

I moved into my little house 20 years ago single with 3 kids to finsh raising. Hubby left me with nothing.

I could not get a job in my small town and my old staionwagon would not last commuting 45 miles to the next larger towm.

All I knew well was saddlery and leathercrafting.

It was hard but I started building clientelle. Yes we lived on short rations. My kids thought we were "Poor". We weren't "Poor".

We had a home and we had food and we had clean clothes. I learned to fix saddles and began to specialize in rstoring antique saddlery so one could not tell where the new leather was. I took apart old English saddles to learn how they were made. I found out whay the cheap saddles were cheap.

It took me a long time to build up my business but I finally did get it going to where I could support all of us.

I prayed alot. And He was always there. I had to pay my Income Taxes one year and I had not saved enough to pay them.

I was sweating it big time. A woman backed her SUV into my little Toyota and bashed in the door. I got the insurance check for the damage to the car.

Guess how much it was? Exactly the amount I had to pay the IRS. To the penny. I fixed the door onmy car myself.

Do not give up. You get busy and practice on scrap and work hard and build up your skills. You do not give up.

Depression feeds it's self. Wake up in the morning and be thankful you woke up to another beautiful day of Life.

Overweight is a national problem. Sugar and wheat put on lots of weight. I used to weigh 296 lbs.

I realized no one would take me serious if I didn't pare down the fat. I eat no wheat because I found out I have a wheat allergy and that can cause depression. If I fall off the diet wagon I gain 15 lbs at a whack. I ate way too much at the holiday season and now I am fighting the fat again.

What do they feed the cattle and pigs in the stockyards to make them gain? Corn, wheat and molasses. Sugar.

I eat 2 eggs and a slice of ham at breakfast with a cup of coffee and hit the workbench. I don't eat French Fries.I don't eat junk food. All it is is empty calories.

You change your diet and you do not give up.

If you got one job you can get another. Henry J. Kaiser said "find a need and fill it". I did janitorial work for a while. I had my own business doing that.

Yes it was hard work but I did it the best I could. I made more money in the saddlery so I left that and kept on studying everything I could find on saddlery , harnes and gun leather.

I have made holsters, belts and wallets. Bridles and driving reins. Dog collars and leashes. There are people out there who will pay a decent price for a good, well made dog collar and leash to match.

Do not give up.

I quote the lady in Auntie Mame, "Life is a banquest and most poor fools are starving to death."

Tomorrow you will get up and get a shower and eat a high protien breakfast and you will get going. Start searching for a job and also you start practicing your leather craft.

Make up a dog collar and do the edges with an edger and crease it, Stain the edges and buff them. Put good quality buckle and D on it and take it to the local pet store and ask them if they would like a supply of them. Figure out the time and materials and ask a reasonable price. Anyone can tell the difference between a hand made one and a factory made one.

I had terrible experiences with Anti Depressants. I tried them. They laid me out on the bed and I could not function. Another one made me sleep 14 hours a day. The time I was not asleep I was in a stupor. Changing my diet changed my life.

You do not give up.

So if you stumble and fall do you lie there? No you get up and git going again.

Believe me I have been down the same road.

I learned one thing. It is up to me to get with it and keep on keepin on.

Nothing worth doing is easy. All the easy jobs are taken. You've got to do something unique. Something not everyone can do.

OK now I have given you my wisdom, go for it.

regards, sadlmakr

See things are looking up already!. I feel for you, as I and my wife have gone through alot of financial and medical problems for what seems like forever. But we are still here and still working at it. Do not sell your tools, use them. Take or make happy moments whenever you can. I have found strength to carry on through working with leather(a little olive oil makes a beautiful finish) it really is a fantastic all around therapy. And the satisfaction of making a useful item for someone is priceless. I don't know if you belive in a higher power but I have also gained a hard to explain inner peace by renewing my relationship with Jesus. Hang in there, God bless you and yours and by all means have fun working with leather.

Des,

My 2 cents....I am new--so it is a super shiney copper 2 cents!

The weight--ONE step at a time! Many of us know how it is. You know you walk out the front door tomorrow and you walk till you get a bit tired--then you walk back. Each day add a few more steps. If it is for 5 minutes to start, it is 5 minutes more than yesterday! It is such an easy thing to kick ourselves for, wether it is medical or just lack of control, or plain old LOVE of food (ME). Society tells us and show us we should feel bad. Well WE DO FEEL BAD--unhealthy uncomfortable and blah! So Des, I challenge you if you go walk tomorrow...I will go walk tomorrow! And trust me I have had my heels dug in for a couple years now....so PM me and we can help each other. Anyone else want to enter this WALK A THON :) ?

Before you sell, use those tools...why the heck not--people understand used crafting tools. Forget you are in a rural area--there is the internet, and a post office!

Good Luck and hope to hear from you.

Marie

I got laid off back in August. Have had a few interviews, no offers. I have to agree still with all the others. DO NOT SELL YOUR TOOLS! Months ago when things got tough I sold some of mine which has been a huge regret, didn't have a choice a the time, but still I regret doing so.

Try making some things, I am still doing some leather work, it is my only stress and depression release I have. When times get you down, get your head into something constructive by making something! Trust me it helps!!

Keep the Faith, No matter how bad things are remember that there is always those worse off than us.

hmm old adage time?

"A man griped because he had no shoes until he met a man who had no feet"

I am very sorry that you lost your job. I am sending my prays that you will fall on your feet. PLEASE do not sell your tools. I think there is a reason for everything that happens to us good or bad, and you were supposed to purchase those tools.

I have been as low as you and really I am still going through the motions. I think that the best thing to do is write all your feelings, good and bad, whether you think you need a Doc, or not , and let the doubts and worries go into the paper then burn it.. I have and I think it has made me closer to the lord, without even asking to be. You have family near so you, have a support system to lean on.

I know things look horrid, but it can only get better.

I do not have the family support over here in the states, and do not share my worries with any of my close friends, mainly because I do not wish to be told how I should live my life according to them. I need to do what I need to do to live my life. If the Lord wants me to struggle, I will trust him to get me through it.

I think what mostly is missing nowdays is the friend that just sits, and listens and doesn't say a word. You know the funny thing is, that I have that reputation, for listening, but none of those people who I listen too, will do the same for me. They seem to make me feel 100% worse. Not good enough according to them. I tend to run from anyone who just throws negitive thoughts my way. That is one thing we do not need.

Think that are a lot of people like us, out there in this huge world.

Think I got off the subgest sorry. Anyway, You will get through this and will get a great new job, or will make leather items for others. Do not put yourself down as we all started out doing projects we were not happy with but the customer loved it. Just get out those tools and get carving and see what the lord will provide.

Good luck.

Kiwi :coffeecomp:

If not for the hard times, what would we talk about during the good times?

Bro! Suck it up, keep your tools, make some stuff, get a job you may not like until the right one comes...been there, done that. Okay, enuf of the tuff love.

Anyone that knows me here, knows the rocky road I've been traveling and I say from my personal experience TRUST THESE PEOPLE! You are amongst some of the finest folks you will ever have the honor of knowing. Do not take the advice offered up here lightly.

You obviously wanted something or else you wouldnt have started this thread. I'm guessing you started it to sell your tools. Bet ya wasnt bargaining for life long friends huh.

Dont sell your tools!

KK

Actually I started it cause I was steamed it just had happened and I needed to vent. Which actually helped quite a bit thanks everyone. I know I'll get something better and I have had to work crappy jobs to tell the truth the job I had was one of those jobs for the longest time until I got moved into my own little area.

Des,

Your ex-employer made unemployment payments so you would have something to fall back on. Go get your money 'till you are on your feet. While you are looking for a job, work on the leather folks sent you, keep your tools and start doing things. When someone gives you something, don't fight it, use it.

Art

Cant sell the car its not in my name so Im stuck paying it. My tools only cost 600 dollars total anyways ( Just started out I dont have a TON of tools ) Wish I didnt have to do unemployment but thats where Im being pushed into right now. It will pay off my Car payments each month since thats only 380. I shouldn't even be worrying as much it just hit me hard yesterday. I have it lucky compared to a lot of others who have been laid off. I dont have house payments. I dont have credit payments.

Yeah Im running out of the scraps the wonderful and great MikePatterson sent me but I do have a whole side I bought before I got unemployed... I did fill out the unemployment paperwork so I'm just waiting for that. Most of what you guys have seen has came from scraps. Here shortly I'll be posting two more images up also from stuff mike sent me and also from stuff Johanna sent me. Surprizing that Mike sent me so much and its already almost gone..

Des:

Check out this posting from rdb about keyrings...

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=14947

I took rdb's idea and made up half a dozen of similar keyrings, using scrap leather and some conchos that have been sitting in a jar on a shelf for a long time. Everyone who has seen them loves them. I haven't tried to sell them yet, but if my friends' reactions is any indication, I think they'll sell quite well. In my neck of the woods I'm thinking they'll go for about $15.00 each.

You got some leather.

You can get some neatsfoot oil or olive oil.

You can go to Walmart and buy a package of split rings for less than $2.00.

If you don't have any conchos yet, it's no big deal. Make up some tooled keyrings.

Sell them.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Edited by TrooperChuck

Yeah I'd have to use my side to make some of those the scrap I have left isnt long enough but I see where your going with this looks interesting and might give it a try maybe try and sell some online somewhere. I can see how it was made to simple and elegant and I have some of the stamps to do some of the styles of designs no conchos though. I'll see what I can do.