Hey.......here's a question that's probably been answered a zillion times, but I'm gonna ask it again. I'm working on a Sheridan style portfolio book cover thing and want to dye the background. Do I dye first, then Neatsfoot, then Neatlac, followed by antique and Tan Kote? I sure don't want to jack it up. Thanks in advance for the help.

Uh oh.........no responses. Wonder if I'm typing in invisible ink again?

Maybe because you were "dying" instead of "dyeing"? Everyone would feel sad if you died... but everyone would be glad to help if you were dyeing something. ;)

Personally, for what you are doing... I put on the finish first as a "resist". Then go on to the other steps. But, you get different results depending what you do first. It all depends what you are trying to get. If it were me, I'd do a couple of sample pieces of scrap first, trying it different ways... that will show you what look you want and how to get it.

If you are dyeing the background with spirt (alcohol) based dyes, you can either dye it first, or oil it first, but do it before the Neat Lac. The dye doesn't penetrate the Neat Lac. Once the background dye has dried, then oil if you haven't already. Then once the oil has evened out, apply the Neat Lac. I like to apply it with a piece of sheep skin and rub it in well. Then when that has dried, apply the antique, and finally when that is dry, finish with Tan Kote. When ever you are trying out a new finishing technique, it's a really good idea to practice it on scrap first instead of taking a chance on ruining your finished piece.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try the practice piece first for sure. Oh, and Horsehair, sorry about the "dying". I probably would die if I wound up dyeing this deal wrong!! Then I would have died from dyeing. If only I would have dyed before I died.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try the practice piece first for sure. Oh, and Horsehair, sorry about the "dying". I probably would die if I wound up dyeing this deal wrong!! Then I would have died from dyeing. If only I would have dyed before I died.

:lol: Hey, thanks for the laugh this morning! A great way to start the day while reading tips about finishing!

Glad to make ya smile. I'd just dye if I couldn't make a person smile everyday....LOL

This is my process.

1. tool

2.oil

3. dye

4. neatlac

5. stain(antique)

6. more neat lac or tan kote

possible oil between 3 and 4.

I am new to dyeing......I have never heard of oiling the leather first.....what kind of oil?

This is my process.

1. tool

2.oil

3. dye

4. neatlac

5. stain(antique)

6. more neat lac or tan kote

possible oil between 3 and 4.