Sign in to follow this  
RuehlLeatherWorks

Cloth Lining on Veg Tan Pouches

I'm working on a detailed, tooled leather pouch that I want to post for sale, but I also want it to be as 'professional' as possible. I'd like to line it with cloth, but I'm not sure how to go about it. The leather is rather heavy (10 oz) so technically I COULD stitch it, but it would be a pain. Does anyone have some advice?

If it were me I'd leave the pouch unlined and use a nice sealant/smoothing on the inside.

I've never lined anything with cloth, but I've used a lot of tandy pig skin to line stuff with....works pretty good. I would think you could glue the cloth to the leather to hold it while you sew/braid the edges, but not too much because it might seep through the fabric. Happens sometimes on a suede lining if you over do it.

Have you thought about making a "second purse" out of cloth nicely finished around the top edge and using some sort of snaps or velcro or some such to put it inside the purse

If it got dirty it could be taken out and washed

would be a selling point for ME anyway

OH just thought of another way

gromets in the cloth and holes in the leather and Lace it in. Put a button where one end of the lace is and put a loop on the lace so the customer can unbutton it and take it out easy

My two pennies