Rich93

Water Spotting On Naked Leather

I'm not a leatherworker, just an appreciative customer. I recently purchased a handmade pool cue case which was done in veg-tanned undyed leather. It is a light tan in color. It is "naked" in the sense that it will scratch easily with your fingernail and absorbs water quickly. The casemaker told me that he used only Leather Balm with Atom Wax to finish the case. It's great leather and feels wonderful. I'm not sure what type of leather it is, but looks like bridle.

Should I worry about it water spotting if caught in the rain? I ask this because I once had a Hartmann belting leather briefcase (also a naked leather) and it began to waterspot after I used some preparation on it - I believe it was saddle soap. It wasn't spotting before I did that. I later discovered that Hartmann recommends against using anything on their belting leather.

Will Leather Balm cause water spotting? If it does, do you have any recommendations for removing the water spots? Any other suggestions for caring for the case? Thanks very much.

I would try Aussie Wax. Give the whole case a good application. Let the leather soak in the AW for 24 to 48 hours. Then buff. Do a second application, if desired.

I think I'll run another experiment along these lines. This time, I'll spray the leather and not just use one drop.

ed