ta2r

Multi-bladed cutter

Hide crafters used to sell a blade that fit in a swivel knife that was similar to several x-acto blades stacked together, but is now discontinued. It was called "Randy's multi-bladed cutter". It is similar to a hair blade but makes cuts deeper. I am trying to locate one, does anybody have an extra or one that is no longer any use to them? I have a hair blade but am looking to make deeper cuts. I thought about trying to make my own with x-acto blades but I would have to modify an old swivel knife to accept the blades. Any help would be appreciated.

I dont know of anyone that makes them anymore commercially. Jan Schoonover modifies a regular Tandy swivel knife to accept the exacto blades and has them for sale for people that take his classes. I can send you a phone number if you are interested. I'm pretty sure he'd sell you one if he has any made up. I think he gets around $60 for them. Bob Beard told me that when he and Robb Barr were making a lot of leather feathers, they would just use a piece of wooden dowell, drill a hole in the end and epoxy several exacto knife blades into it. He said you could just hold it like a pencil and that it worked just as good.

Randy Knutson was the last person that I knew was selling these type of blades. His eBay ID is river_rat1541. His email is Randy Knutson. The last email address I have for him is in the link (yahoo account). Hope that helps.

Regards,

Ben

Thanks for the input, I like the idea of the dowel and epoxy, that will work since I'm kind of a cheapskate. Maybe in the future I will invest in the more elaborate tool.