i made this for my friend. he is getting into SASS shooting. for those of you who (like me) had never herd of this it is cowboy action shooting.

he picked the design and i have know idea what it is but i think its neat. tell me what you think.

holster1.jpg

holster_2.jpg

holser_3.jpg

post-5395-1236915821_thumb.jpg

post-5395-1236915835_thumb.jpg

post-5395-1236915850_thumb.jpg

NOT BAD.........

I WOULD PUT SOME CURVEATURE IN THE BELT, ATTACH THE HOLSTERS TO WHERE THEY WOULD

NOT SLIDE ....

Cactus - sass #26182

we talked about that but as he gets bigger a belt that doesnt let the holsters move would put them on the back side of his leg. he is not done growing yet.

Not bad for a first run,for an excellant ref look at Richard Rattenbury's book "Packing Iron" Zion Pub.That tooling is simular to the style the old smith's did using sharp nails to remove the leather surface in a simple design.Again check out that book!

Looks nice, good job. There are roughly 2 schools of SASS holster design, the historical and the quick draw. Yours is a bit more along the quick draw road. If you get "Packing Iron" you can find out a lot more about this. Holsters in the old days were geared more towards retention, so the pistol sat down further in the holster (don't matter how fast you are on the draw if your gun is laying in the mud about a half mile back up the trail). They were also not fixed rigidly on the belt, though they may fit tightly on the belt. Some slide was necessary to adjust the fit for comfort when walking, riding a horse, etc. The quick draw type is optimized for getting the gun out of the holster and into action as quickly as possible. Thus the pistol sits in the holster fairly loosely with the trigger guard well exposed, the holster is held to the belt rigidly so there is no play (in some cases it is actually bolted to the belt via a metal plate). This gets rid of the slop and creates a rigid consistent position to draw from. If you are just going to walk up to the firing line and then shoot, retention is not such a big issue. Then there is the buscadero rig (holster threaded through a slot in the belt) vs. the standard Mexican loop (in which the belt passes through a large loop formed by the backflap of the holster, the slim Jim (tighter fitting with a relatively narrow belt loop fixed to the back of the holster), crossdraw vs. strongside, etc. etc.. You can get incredibly geeky about all this but everytime I do I get a vision of a hardbitten old buckaroo squinting at me with a mixture of disgust and disbelief. :unsure:

we talked about that but as he gets bigger a belt that doesnt let the holsters move would put them on the back side of his leg. he is not done growing yet.

That's funny. I know just how that fella feels. Nice work.