Sign in to follow this  
Brian

First "Holster"

Hi All

I have been on the board for a while, but haven't really posted - I figured I post a pic of my first sheath/holster. I have been making billiard cues cases for about 3 years, but do other oddball stuff for the challenge and some extra cash.

Anyway - here's a knife sheath I came up with Friday night for a friend of mine. He is currently training for deployment to Afghanistan with the 20th Special Forces Group - so this project had some special meaning. It simple, but its based on a shoulder handgun rig, but instead a sheath to carry a Randall 'Airman' knife. His request that the knife could be carried at all times, over a t-shirt, or body armour, adjustble, and with the possibility the sheath could be moved to the right side, but as is now a left side mount for a right-handed removal. The sheath points down at about 45 degrees. The rig is adjustable up and down for fit, and includes a snap for attachment to his waistbelt.

I am in the process of making a holster for his service weapon, in the event he needs to go without a thigh rig for his handgun, but still needs to carry both a knife and pistol.

Like I said, its simple, but it seems to work. We'll see what it looks like when he gets in country.

What do you think? Simple veg tan tooling leather, oiled with neatsfoot oil only. I am cutting parts for 10-15 more, as he thinks once the other guys in his unit see it, they'll want one too! The edge dye job bled on this one, I know why. I reversed the leather so the smooth side faces inside, so when switched to the other side, it looks cleaner. Next time I am going to uses two layers of 4oz veg with the flesh sides in.

Brian

www.nittanyleather.com

_MG_0916c.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

post-2096-1237252156_thumb.jpg

post-2096-1237252181_thumb.jpg

Cool!

Art

Cool!

Art

Thanks! I gathered a bunch of photos from other rigs. The hole punching took forever (well it seemed like forever). I think it turned out pretty slick. It is all 8oz veg tan, with 6oz straps. With my Air Force survival knife, it feels pretty good. The Randall knife is a beast, even with a 5.5" blade, but it seems stable enough. I can't wait to see pics in action.

These SOF guys are professional warriors. He was estatic when he saw it, and put it right on when I saw him Sunday. I mean these guys are just like the guys you see on TV - full beards, ball caps, and loaded to the gills the armourment. I feel pretty good that he'll be wearing my rig.

Brian

ww.nittanyleather.com

SWEET ! :cheers:

George

I think you did an outstanding job on the sheath, especially since you are not generally a sheath maker! I would make one suggestion based on the probable use of this particular item, considering where its owner is going. I know that the issue sheath for this knife has the "wrap-around" retaining strap, but on the issue sheath it is farther away from the hilt and cutting edge, high up on a belt loop. I am concerned that if the owner needs the knife in a hurry, the strap on the edge side might not clear far enough to keep from getting sliced off. If he's like the guys I served with in the Marines, you could probably shave with that thing.

You might want to consider making a retaining strap to wrap the hilt (rather than the grip) on the side away from the sharpened edge. You could make it a "thumb-break" function where the strap goes from the sheath itself, around the hilt and snaps underneath the hilt on his thumb side, just like on a holster. That way, when he functions the snap release and pulls the knife, the hilt will push the strap out of the way and the blade will not get anywhere near it. It would also be a faster release for him.

Just my $ .02. Tell him thanks for his service, and to keep his head down.

Mike

I think you did an outstanding job on the sheath, especially since you are not generally a sheath maker! I would make one suggestion based on the probable use of this particular item, considering where its owner is going. I know that the issue sheath for this knife has the "wrap-around" retaining strap, but on the issue sheath it is farther away from the hilt and cutting edge, high up on a belt loop. I am concerned that if the owner needs the knife in a hurry, the strap on the edge side might not clear far enough to keep from getting sliced off. If he's like the guys I served with in the Marines, you could probably shave with that thing.

You might want to consider making a retaining strap to wrap the hilt (rather than the grip) on the side away from the sharpened edge. You could make it a "thumb-break" function where the strap goes from the sheath itself, around the hilt and snaps underneath the hilt on his thumb side, just like on a holster. That way, when he functions the snap release and pulls the knife, the hilt will push the strap out of the way and the blade will not get anywhere near it. It would also be a faster release for him.

Just my $ .02. Tell him thanks for his service, and to keep his head down.

Mike

Thanks for the advice - Something to work on - I know what you mean with the placement - I think the Randall sheaths are actually built that way. I wasn't sure if this would be easier if it every needed replaced, just pop is out and put in a new one, that way no need to removed stitiches. I'll have to order some pull-the-dot fasteners and see if that works, that way it will have less f a chance to open accidently.

He's a pretty cool guy. I met him through Civil Air Patrol. His MOS is 18D - SF Medic - these guys are basically combat surgeons - amazing what they can do.

Thanks for the tips - I making a few more so I'll have to post version 2.0

Brian

www.nittanyleather.com

Awesome job, Brian! Very well done!

Brian,

Real nice, keep up the good work!

Randy