colttrainer

Reita

Just starting into the rawhide life. My question is which is best cored or non cored for a 4 strand reita. If no core what size do you cut the strands for a 3/8. How thick do you make the strands for either method.

Look forward to all of your input.

Al

I don't have any 1st hand experience making them but I have heard that the cored ones have more of a tendency to break. So without hearing something to the contrary I would go without a core.

Grant talks about making them a little in his book, I think the standard is 4 strands of 1/4" string IIRC.

I would advise if you have not done much rawhide work do not start with a Reata. It might look easy because it is a 4 stand braid, but it is a great undertaking. That is just my 2 cents

Ash

My very first rawhide braiding was a 56 foot reata. Yes it may seem a little intimidating but honestly, it is a four strand braid which is pretty basic. The honda is the toughest part. If you need advise or have questions you can pm me or ask it right here. There are people on here that are much better braiders than I am.

That first reata, I cut up the hide, scraped the hair off, split it and cut my own string. That was in 1993. Mary Fields was my instructor. Look for her in the Bruce Grant books.

I will encourage you to do the reata. You willl learn about the moisture content of the string as well as pulling an even tension with both hands.

Let us know how things are going as you are working on this.

Joe

Four Strands Of Rawhide is also a great dvd to purchase on reatas. You get to hear lots of good stories from Mr Bill Dorrance.

Four Strands Of Rawhide is also a great dvd to purchase on reatas. You get to hear lots of good stories from Mr Bill Dorrance.

Glad you mentioned that.. i was just about to ask.

Is the dvd more of a documentry of Mr. Dorance or is it a real instructional video on how to build reatas. Just want to know if its worth the $120 or whatever they cost.

thanks

Jed

Glad you mentioned that.. i was just about to ask.

Is the dvd more of a documentry of Mr. Dorance or is it a real instructional video on how to build reatas. Just want to know if its worth the $120 or whatever they cost.

thanks

Jed

Whether the DVD is worth the money?.....dvd costs 120.00 ...completed 60 reata sells for at least 250.00 even if it turns out to be just a wallhanger....if the reata turns out nice is sure nuff usable and you add a super nice honda then you can get a heck of alot more. Randy Reiman is a top braider and Mr Dorrance is a legend so I would vote that the DVD would be money well spent. Plus you can always resell the DVD once you have mastered the art. Heck Ill give you ten bucks for it once you are done.

Thanks for all the input. I will post pics of my progress, when I get started. Lots of things on my plate at the momoent, not mention lots of NEW TOOLS TO BUY. LOL

Not sure about those prices but up here a 65' Runs at about 7 to 10 bucks a foot (4 strand) at least that is what I have found and that is top quaility stuff. That is why I decided I neede to learn. Dads wore out after many years branding calves & need a new one. Can't bring my self to use a rope at a branding or spend that kind of money for a reita. Wife would use me to make rawhide.