Kustom

CONSEW 255RB-3

I have a few questions about a sewing machine. I'd appreciated any info you can give me.

Is the CONSEW 255RB-3 good for leather? Is $650 a decent price?

The ad says "High speed, single needle, walking foot with a large bobbin. Reversible complete with Table and clutch motor. 110 v."

Thanks in advance, Steve

Hi Steve,

If in good shape, that is a ok price. It is a flat bed upholstery machine much like the 618 machines that we all know. It is Chinese made and a reliable machine, just make sure it isn't over-used (read ragged-out). It will do 24oz total without mods and may do 32oz with modification. Needle feed, drop feed (compound feed) walking foot, has a quick presser foot height adjustment on the newer ones.

Caveat, some of these machines are setup to sew like a bat out of hell, you might want to replace the drive system with a servo and even a speed reducer.

Art

I have a few questions about a sewing machine. I'd appreciated any info you can give me.

Is the CONSEW 255RB-3 good for leather? Is $650 a decent price?

The ad says "High speed, single needle, walking foot with a large bobbin. Reversible complete with Table and clutch motor. 110 v."

Thanks in advance, Steve

Art,

Thanks for the info. How much would a servo and speed reducer cost? How hard is it to make the changes?

Steve

Hi Steve,

$300

If you just did the motor (get a 550 watt, low speed servo) it is basically a bolt up and maybe a new belt, get the smallest pulley you can (50mm or less) and see if that meets your needs, the motor/speed reducer will require a little work, you may have to relocate the motor and remount both. Motor should be $150-$160.

Art

Art,

Thanks for the info. How much would a servo and speed reducer cost? How hard is it to make the changes?

Steve

Thanks for the info Art.

I just bought a servo motor and I am not too happy with it. It is a 550W Yamata or Family (supposedly the same as Consew), 3/4HP and the lowest speed setting does not have enough power to move the needle (much less push it through leather!) on the second setting it will move, but goes a little faster than I would like. I have a Consew 206 RB5.

The motor was $150 delivered. I am still only messing around with the machine and learning how to use it but I was disappointed with the performance of the motor. It doesn't seem to have enough torque to push the needle when going really slow (meaning one stitch at a time). I usually have to help the wheel get started. Any comments?

FRed

Hi Steve,

$300

If you just did the motor (get a 550 watt, low speed servo) it is basically a bolt up and maybe a new belt, get the smallest pulley you can (50mm or less) and see if that meets your needs, the motor/speed reducer will require a little work, you may have to relocate the motor and remount both. Motor should be $150-$160.

Art

Fred F.......i had almost the same problem as you.. Bought the servo motor

& stand from Nick O Sew i am using it on a Consew 227. the motor would go fast

i would turn the switch down, it would slow some what ,but it never did do what a servo

motor was to do.

i fought that motor and did decide to call them and voice my complaint.....

guess what... he said that they had problems with that motor from the factory.

they replaced it with a "sewquiet 4000 reliable". I HAVE HAD NO PROBLENS

AFTER THE SWAP.......

i beleive you have a bad motor..........

Yes, I read somwhwere on the internet that the Reliable and Artisan are the best, and that the Yamatas, and Family have that problem. The place I purchased it from said they would swap it for a Consew when the Consews came in (because they are backordered). I'm going to see if I can swap it for a Reliable 3000 or 4000 like you did.

Thanks,

Fred F.......i had almost the same problem as you.. Bought the servo motor

& stand from Nick O Sew i am using it on a Consew 227. the motor would go fast

i would turn the switch down, it would slow some what ,but it never did do what a servo

motor was to do.

i fought that motor and did decide to call them and voice my complaint.....

guess what... he said that they had problems with that motor from the factory.

they replaced it with a "sewquiet 4000 reliable". I HAVE HAD NO PROBLENS

AFTER THE SWAP.......

i beleive you have a bad motor..........