jbird

business card

like it or not ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. like it or not

• double chaps great
    • Makers stamp under foot
    • one gone and full name in middle

I'd eliminate the list and put Strap Goods. I'd also eliminate leatherworker.net - member. If you make chaps I'd put include that above strap goods on the left hand side.

Here is one I just did. It is intended to be included with all the cases we sell. Is it too minimalist?

jbcase_business_card2.jpg

post-5717-1239527107_thumb.jpg

My 2cts;

When I do a business card I try to think what the uses will be. I have done complicated ones with every bit of information on them that someone needs to find me as well as what I do. These can be very complicated and read like a little book. I do make the phone number larger on the card as that is often the thing that is looked for most.

Lists? Can be good but should be short and consistent. If you have a specialty then highlight it. Leatherworks is fairly broad to me, do you make leather jackets? Bondage gear? Do leather restoration? Cleaning? Upholstery?

When you do them make triple sure that everything is spelled right and that each point is done the same way either with all the first letters capitalized or none of them capitalized. I also like to see the words have a touch more spacing on the vertical - spread them out just a little more and that enhances each point and makes each line easier to read.

I like saying something like "General Leather Work - Specializing in xxx" Or the way the factory owner in Turkey told me, "we can even make a man out of leather." :-)

I like the idea of a picture of your maker's mark rather than the line drawing. Most people will recognize a maker's mark as a stamp of quality - it just feels solid.

Doing it as a line drawing is also somewhat redundant with your name elsewhere.

I'd also like to see the picture of the chaps be bigger. When I design a card I like to have some example of what I do in as large a way as possible. I probably went a little too far on the last card I just did but I do want the product to have center stage.

Lastly, on your card I'd probably include an address. You will probably end up handing your card to people who need your address and it's always a pain to have to take it back and write it down. Just my thoughts as someone who has been through around ten different variations of his business cards.

John

I read this thread with great interest since I was in the middle of designing my own business cards. I am hoping that I found a compromise and was wondering what other's thoughts were. My cards I think I would eventually want to get something that is glossier but this is okay with me for now.

Thanks in advance for any input - Brian