Sign in to follow this  
moonbindery

Leather for Journals

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and am finding so much good information here! Thanks to you all.

I make soft cover leather journals, and am looking for good leather suppliers -- could any of you recommend suppliers who stock 4oz - 6oz leather, soft to medium temper with a naked finish? I've used Hide House's glove tan cowhide, and like it, but would like to know if there are other good suppliers. Thanks for your help.

Barbara

You can order directly from Wickett and Craig. http://www.wickett-craig.com/

check the resource area. if not, you will get enough information here.

Zack & White

Siegal of California

Hide Crafter

Springfield Leather

Thoroughbred Leather

Wichett & Craig

Herman Oak

Best of luck and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about Wickett & Craig, but when I looked at their website, the leather was mostly heavier -- 10 oz range. I'll give them a call and see what else they have. I'll also check out the other sources you mentioned.

I did check the supplies section, but after looking at some websites, I think I'll have to call to see if supplier have what I want. I was asking for suggestions because the last time I ordered from Hide House, some of the leather was great, and some was not useable. I'd like more consistency from my supplier, as it costs a bundle to return things (I'm in Canada).

Edited by moonbindery

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about Wickett & Craig, but when I looked at their website, the leather was mostly heavier -- 10 oz range. I'll give them a call and see what else they have. I'll also check out the other sources you mentioned.

I did check the supplies section, but after looking at some websites, I think I'll have to call to see if supplier have what I want. I was asking for suggestions because the last time I ordered from Hide House, some of the leather was great, and some was not useable. I'd like more consistency from my supplier, as it costs a bundle to return things (I'm in Canada).

They will split it down to what ever weight you want for no charge.

oh, ok, I didn't know that. I'm fairly new to leatherworking, so am still learning....

Barbara

Hi

You could try ERICKO distributers I believe they are in Red Deer Alberta

LJS

Any chance of a picture of one of your journals?

They made me post pictures...

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and am finding so much good information here! Thanks to you all.

I make soft cover leather journals, and am looking for good leather suppliers -- could any of you recommend suppliers who stock 4oz - 6oz leather, soft to medium temper with a naked finish? I've used Hide House's glove tan cowhide, and like it, but would like to know if there are other good suppliers. Thanks for your help.

Barbara

Try Siegels of California.

russ

They will split it down to what ever weight you want for no charge.

Rawhide

My understanding, but I haven't tried, is that W&C will charge for a split down. Now, I just ordered and received HO from Stevenson-Paxton for 6-7oz and they did not charge me. It is their B grade, but it is hella better than Tandy leather.

I hope this answered your question.

Rawhide

My understanding, but I haven't tried, is that W&C will charge for a split down. Now, I just ordered and received HO from Stevenson-Paxton for 6-7oz and they did not charge me. It is their B grade, but it is hella better than Tandy leather.

I hope this answered your question.

They didn't charge me for the split, but I know they charge to buff the back...it could be a policy change or just a mistake on the order...nonetheless, it's very fine leather.

Two very nice leathers you can try are the Deertan Cowhide and Doe Kidskin from Tandy. Give your local Manager a call and ask him for a sample (if he does not have any, let me know, I'll send you some).

I am aware of quite a few bookbinders who use these leathers and they are very satisfied with the feel of the soft leather. The Deertan Cow sounds exactly like what you are describing.

Any chance of a picture of one of your journals?

They made me post pictures...

DID NOT --- just whined long enough that you did it to shut me up.......

grins and giggles

Thanks for all your good advice. I sent off for samples from Wickett & Craig, and while the leather looks really nice, I don't think it will work for my books. The W & C leather is stiffer and has a very smooth surface, but I need leather that has a soft temper and lots of surface grain. So the search continues... I'll check out some of the other suppliers you recommended.