rsg3

New stitching horse

I share my work space with my S/O, one of us is left handed and the other right handed, anyone thought about how to adapt the plans to be reversable for left hand or right hand operation?

I remember a while back there was someone who built one so that the clamps could be rotated around. It would take some searching to dig it up but should be in the forums here somewhere.

I was wondering if anyone has tried using an Rockwell Jaw Horse? http://www.rockwelltoolsdirect.com/jawhorse/ I have one myself but have not tried it yet.

An interesting improvement to a stitching horse is to replace the metal piece for the strap to slide over with a thread spool or large dowel bored out for an axle. Enlarge the slot to make a hole to fit the spool, bore out and drive an axle thru for the spool to roll on and run the strap over the spool. I also added an old furniture coil spring so the jaws will pop open easier.

I was wondering if anyone has tried using an Rockwell Jaw Horse? http://www.rockwellt...t.com/jawhorse/ I have one myself but have not tried it yet.

Seated in a padded height adjustable standard computer chair the jaw horse height is perfect as is out of the box. I was able to roll right up close to the work area. Very impressive indeed.

:You_Rock_Emoticon: Jaw Horse. Great product.

I tested on medium thickness cardboard really quick and applied very soft foot / jaw clamping pressure to secure. Then applied just enough to release the mechanism. No was no obvious damage to the cardboard tested.

I will make a flat smooth wooden jaw with a beveled top edge and contact cement very thick leather pads to the jaws for extra protection. A knob for fine tuning softer clamping pressure might be added into the jaws if needed later. So far so good.

A simple tutorial.

1. Unlocked padlock symbol. Slide the jaw until it contacts the item being clamped.

2. Next slide switch to the locked padlock symbol and apply enough foot pressure to secure the work safely. The jaw horse foot pedal requires a little more force than the origional foot pressure applied to release and unlock the jaws.

ATTENTION....Applying total body weight and force on the foot pedal may result in being unable to unlock the jaws. :helpsmilie: For fun I tested a local store display with my total body weight and had to nearly jump on the foot pedal for it to finally unlock and release the jaws.

Edited by ContactCement