carr52

Floral wallet

Just one of the things I've been working on. I guess I just have to face the facts, when it comes to the finger cuts I suck. But I'm not one to give up so I'll keep trying.

Tom

IMG_0001.JPG

post-6291-1239133932_thumb.jpg

I decided to play around with some dyes and see what color I could get. I dont think I cleaned the leather good enough but I like the color. It's 1 part Fiebings tan to 3 parts thinner. I think I'll try another project and use 1 part dye to 4 parts thinner. I want it just a little lighter. I'm using it on projects because no matter how it looks on a scrap piece it always seems to look different on the real thing.

Tom

IMG_0005.JPG

post-6291-1239284385_thumb.jpg

Nice color, how did you apply the dye ?

Nice color, how did you apply the dye ?

I just used a wool dauber. Or a sheep on a stick as I like to call em.

Tom

Tom,

I see improvement every time you post one of these. Decorative cuts ARE difficult! Especially as your knife passes from soft leather into compressed leather (where you've used a pear shader or beveler). The only thing to do is practice, practise, practise on scrap leather. Every piece of scrap you have should be covered with practice cuts before you toss it. You'll be surprised at how fast you pick it up and how much better your initial cutting will get. 99.9% of all cuts are either some form of a "C" shape or an "S" shape. Just practice those shapes over and over. I think you're making good progress!

Bob