undeberg

Fire Dept. Saddle

I'm looking for some constructive criticism on my second saddle. I built this for my local fire department to use in a raffle to raise money for their fire school. I'm a member of the Fire Dept. and wanted to say thanks for all the training and things they have done for me by donating a saddle to them. Being that it's only my second saddle, I'd love some feedback. I have a lot to learn!

FireSaddlecopy_copy.jpg

post-5518-1204907981_thumb.jpg

I love it!! My father, grandfather, and great uncle were all fire fighters. All of my wifes uncles were involved in the fire service. That should sell really well! I'm not a saddle maker or horsey person but it looks really good for your second saddle.

John

Looks good. Where did you get the firefighter concho? My one son is a firefighter, so I've been making some tool belts, and suspenders for some of them. That concho would look nice on them.

Regards Buff

It is actually a gold plated fire fighter badge set into the back. It's about an inch and a half square. It has two threaded posts on the back and some fairly flat nuts that secure it to the saddle. You may be able to set it into a belt, but unless you skive out a small indent for the nut you're going to end up with a bulge under your lining leather.

Thanks for the compliments!

Beautiful saddle. Especially for only your second one. That should do well for the raffle. I have three suggestions though.

1. Finish all of your edges more, so they're smooth and slick, especially on your fenders.

2. Take another half wrap on your Nevada twist and hide the tail in between the two pieces. That way you won't see a bump in the wraps.

3. Pull your front riggin plate up a little to where the bottom of the plate matches up to the bottom of your skirts.

Beautiful saddle. Especially for only your second one. That should do well for the raffle. I have three suggestions though.

1. Finish all of your edges more, so they're smooth and slick, especially on your fenders.

2. Take another half wrap on your Nevada twist and hide the tail in between the two pieces. That way you won't see a bump in the wraps.

3. Pull your front riggin plate up a little to where the bottom of the plate matches up to the bottom of your skirts.

I have struggled a little with my edges, I just bought some new western edgers, as the ones I had were all terrible, and have found that the new ones leave a much cleaner edge and it burnishes up very nice. I have also been looking at some of the cocobola edgers and was wondering how well they work.

Getting my wrap to stay up on such a large horn was kind of tricky, I had to really stretch the leather around, and my next wrap had to be in so close to the same spot that it left a lump in the rest of my wrap and by the time I got done I didn't have enough leather left to go one more time around. I'll search for a larger hide for my next wrap!

I'll definately move those plate a bit forward on the next one! Thanks for the tips.

Sorry, I meant the wrap on your Nevada twist on the stirrup leathers and not your horn wrap. The horn wrap looks great. The badge was a great idea too.

Edited by timjtodd

That was my mistake, I didn't know what the name for that was, and I didn't even think about that when you said it. That makes a lot of sense for that application though. I had to pretty much plug through that with just pictures off the internet. That's the problem with a lot of the small stuff. You have to almost tear it apart to see how it really works, and somehow I don't think my local saddle shop would appreciate me tearing a new saddle apart!

As a firefighter myself I have to say that is the coolest saddle I have ever seen!

Warren

I say very good job for your second saddle. Work on the edges, and sewing, but don't be too critical of yourself. As long as it is still functional you'll be fine.

ok short and sweet how much and where do I send my money to get a ticket on the saddle. I would like to help you firefighters and have a chance at the saddle.

Russ

ok short and sweet how much and where do I send my money to get a ticket on the saddle. I would like to help you firefighters and have a chance at the saddle.

I should have ask in my first post and didn't. I would like to buy some tickets also. When is the raffle over? I have a tax refund coming in a couple of weeks and will have some money to spare and there's no better cause than for firefighters!!!!!!!!!!!

John

The raffle is a must be present to win raffle. There are probably around 100-200 prizes ranging from fire gear to local gift certificates. The local FD sets up a huge fire school here every year and we have probably around 1000 people in town for the event. I guess if you were really interested you could send me a PM and we could arrange something.

Thanks again for everyone's imput

underberg

Nice looking saddle Your Fire Dept is lucky to have your support.

Mike

Really nice work, there. I hope you get 6 figures for it.