Sign in to follow this  
AZThunderPony

Paisano's Tree

I just recieved from Denise Nikkels a photograph of Paisano's tree that Rod built. It was shipped from Canada today. I will be detailing how I may go about building the saddle but the actual build won't be underway until fall or winter, however I will be working up a prototype of what I want (without nails, glue, tacks, etc) whereby I can use the tree on Paisano this summer to see how it is all going to come together. Don't worry folks I will make sure everything is lined up exact as if it were the final saddle. More on the tree can be found here: THE PONY EXPRESSION

I'll be hitting you pro's up as I go along for advice if you don't mind.

;) S

Just a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. Thanks so much Rod and Denise, you guys have been wonderful to work with. I have to thank Dennis Lane and DaviD also for the time they spent with me last summer during their visit to the States.

Catt_0811158.JPG

post-1650-1240988405_thumb.jpg

Edited by AZThunderPony

Can i question? I don´t know PAISANO tree . I would like to know, for how type of saddle is this tree primarilly?. Why are stirrup holes across from bars?

Sorry for my inquisitively questions, These informations are very attrctive and usefull for me

Thanks

........I visited PONYEXPRESSION website, and twigged this topic finally ....:head_hurts_kr: ....

PAISANO is horse´s name

...............sorry for this awrwardness :whistle:

I must study enlish too beside leatherwork

Compound, your English is fine. We can understand you anyway! The stirrup slots were common on an old style of saddle named the Hope saddle, not to mention others. These saddles had the front of the bars exposed, so a stirrup over the bar may have slipped around a bit an not stayed in one place. There is no other advantage that I know of to having them versus having the stirrup over the top of the bar in a regular saddle. The disadvantage is less strength to the bar in that area.

You are correct in identifying this as an old Hope Tree. I have one in my antique collection. The fork was taken from a fork in a tree like a sling shot fork. The horn

was carved on the handle end of the sling shot fork. This horn was prone to brek off and prior to making trees with iron horns they made bronze replacement

horn to be used when the wooden horn broke off. These trees were very popular for use on the Morgan Breed horses.