Sign in to follow this  
Curbstrap2

Opinion on this vintage rig - Boyt Saddle

I may be sticking my neck out but I doubt the tree is aluminum. The seller may be going by the rings. This style was popular in the 60's, early 70's and usually had rawhide wrapped trees. I have an old Simco that's almost identical in style.

Aluminum trees were a new thing to me too, but they did exist and were discussed in this thread: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?s...teel+tree\ The basic shape of the one in the picture looks a lot like the one in the old ad. I guess since they were cast there wasn't a lot of options as far as the tree went.

Although it is not always gospel, the Old Cowboy Saddles and Spurs book lists Boyt Saddlery as being in business in Des Moines and they stopped making saddles in 1949. In their listing it says that at some time they used aluminum trees. For that price it is almost worth it as a curiosity, but I think Rundi would figure I already have three other "curiosities" I haven't got around to restoring yet.

Bruce, For $135.00 - go for it!!

She'd kill me. I sleep pretty soundly, I'd never see it coming.

Living in Iowa I can see I have seen my share of Boyt saddles. I can't think of one that didn't have the aluminum tree. In fact, I have a Boyt parade saddle sitting right here in front of me. And yes, it has an aluminum tree. If there is still any interest, I could post some pics.

got silver?

SilverSaddle1,

As a general rule, you don't ever need to ask. Just go ahead and post the photo and I'll guarantee someone WILL be interested!! :lol:

Mike