troy

emailing loads past customers

over the past year I have started to keep records of past customers - mostly from ebay sales and have wondered about writing a sort of email newsletter thing to send to them all - but I do worry about the aspect of bothering people with this sort of communication.

Mostly I am at a loss as to what I could say or include without sounding pushy or intrusive enough to annoy, seeing as they would not be expecting any correspondance as such - has any body had similar experiances and perhaps got some ideas as to what I could write or even a template type layout of correct wording.

thanks for your time and any help

paul

over the past year I have started to keep records of past customers - mostly from ebay sales and have wondered about writing a sort of email newsletter thing to send to them all - but I do worry about the aspect of bothering people with this sort of communication.

Mostly I am at a loss as to what I could say or include without sounding pushy or intrusive enough to annoy, seeing as they would not be expecting any correspondance as such - has any body had similar experiances and perhaps got some ideas as to what I could write or even a template type layout of correct wording.

thanks for your time and any help

paul

I went throught this process when the boat store was in business. While most people liked to stay in touch there were a couple of past customers who viewed it as junk email and let me know it. One suggestion is to start the email as a simple hello and let them know what you are doing and you are there to help in any way you can. Always include in the close of the email that if they choose they can "unsubscribe" from your list. Also, all the recipients that you are sending emails to, use the Bcc (blind carbon copy) section of your email header. This will keep their emails private. I hate when my buddies include me in a blanket email along with dozens of other email addresses for everyone to see. I would use my own email in the "send to" and then Bcc everyone else.

As far as items for sale, have something new and exciting to share with the list every month. Come up with something that everyone needs and consider making it a "loss leader product", not quite a freebie, but something that might interest them enough to purchase. Or, depending on how big your list is, a give away to the first X amount of people who answer a simple question....For example June's giveaway might be a key fob (I would do fobs with the signs of zodiac, heck everyone has a birthday right?) and the question would be something like "Who is buried in Grant's tomb?" Sounds kind of silly I know, but the whole idea is to drive people to your website or business. Just a thought...Good luck!

Dennis

Michigan

Edited by claybuster101

You might start with a personalized email thanking the customer for their business and asking about the specific item they purchased and how it is working for them. Then maybe tell them what you would like to do and let them know you do not want to bother them if they don't want it and give them an opportunity to unsubscribe at that point. Chris

On your website you could put a "sign up for our newsletters here!" and when they fill it out you have permission to email them. As keeper of the world's largest leather mailing list, I would not sell, trade, or lose LW's list, or use it w/o conductiing LW official business. Definitely put a "unsubscribe" feature on the emails for the people who don't want to receive the extra mail any more. Check out a newsletter service (Topica is a big one) to make it easier on yourself and help you get through the spam filters with a multi-address mailing. People are funny about email. They will throw away 2 pounds of garbage the postman brought, and complain bitterly about an email that takes one click to delete.

Johanna

Here is my take on it.

Don't do it.

Unless you write each person a personal email and ask that they sign-up for an email list or introduce them to your new newsletter. Then I would use a private/commercial emailing service to manage the list. I have used Mailchimp successfully and they do all the work with unsubscribe and spam issues. It is a double opt-in and sometimes that is a pain and you loose a person or two in the opt-in process, but then you know the people you have on your list are people who want to hear your message.

Johanna is correct you will find those who throw a fit about spam. I think it is rediculous that I must opt out of most forms when I buy something or book a hotel. If I wanted an email from the Hyatt hotel twice a week I could sign up for it. Not that I must unsubscribe because I booked a room. Petty yeah, probably. But that feeling and sentement is very common.

So write them a personal email, plain and no pitch other than your invite to recieve the newsletter and use a double opt in service.

Just my opinion.

Allen

Paul,

I just noticed your original post and thought I'd better add my tuppence.

In the UK there are some requirements that need to be met because of the Data Protection Act and the Freedom of Information Act.

My reading of the acts is that, if you keep a simple list of customers purely for your own use for advertising and so on, that's okay. As soon as you 'manipulate' the data using any automatic system that generates letters or e-mails, or you pass the list to someone else, you have to register with the Information Commissioner's Office.

I'm sure there are millions of UK citizens who know how good the UK Government is at keeping personal information confidential and not letting it be stolen from the laptops of civil servants on trains or from the back seats of cars.

It looks as if it's also necessary to allow people to access the information and have it altered/deleted at their request.

The details of exactly how the data may or may not be used are hidden away in the Acts.

There is a website that gives details (www.ico.gov.uk) and it's probably worth checking-out to make sure you don't drop yourself in it.

Gary

I don't believe a "custom-leather-maker-to-customer" relationship is quite the same as a JC Penny, or Cheap Tickets......or any other nationally known company you order online from.....

They took interest in your work in the first place, which is why you did something for them.

I think it's a good idea to shoot them a "howdy" note now and then with maybe a picture of your latest project they may like to see, or maybe just directing them to your web site.

A newsletter format is a good idea too....it's called marketing, any business should have a marketing program.