Sign in to follow this  
flyingcuda

elna supermatic free arm

does anyone know of these machines? are they good enough for sewing leather? i dont have a machine and i may be able to get this, but i need to know if it will do or not. thanks for any help that you may have.

does anyone know of these machines? are they good enough for sewing leather? i dont have a machine and i may be able to get this, but i need to know if it will do or not. thanks for any help that you may have.

Hello Flying Cuda, the machine is a home machine capable of doing light leather, maybe 8-10 oz. depending on the leather. What you really need is a walking foot machine. Depending on what the machine is selling for, and what kind of sewing you plan on doing, then you should really think about it before you purchase it. If you need more info call me at 1-866-962-9880. Thanks, Steve

Hello Flying Cuda, the machine is a home machine capable of doing light leather, maybe 8-10 oz. depending on the leather. What you really need is a walking foot machine. Depending on what the machine is selling for, and what kind of sewing you plan on doing, then you should really think about it before you purchase it. If you need more info call me at 1-866-962-9880. Thanks, Steve

Are you sure that a home machine will sew 8-10oz leather of any tannage? That seems awful thick for a home type sewing machine. I'd say that probably garment leather at 2-3oz at best will be about the limit on a home machine.

John

I would agree with John on that!

Steve

Can't say for sure on the Elna. However I tried a new Singer 550 at the shop that worked on my 31-20. It sewed some petrified skirting and also 3 layers of chap. They call it a "commercial grade" but there is way more plastic than any commercial machine. It is a machine designed for home use.

Hi...No matter who you buy a machine from, always try to talk with a few folks that are knowledgeable about what you want to sew... the worst you'll get is advice that you don't want to hear, or can't afford, but you'll be smarter, and you'll probably save a ton of money and grief in the long run! :)

Kevin@springfieldleather.com