I have a question about thread sizes. I hand stitch all my holsters with 000 saddle stitch needles. I have been using the pre-waxed stuff that Tandy sells, and I like it very well. However, I don't like paying $4.00 or so for 25 yards, which is the only way they sell it. The thread for their sewing awl is a bit too small, and their waxed nylon thread is too large for my tastes. I guess I'm like Goldilocks, and want it just right! Can any of you tell me what the equivalent thread size is, so I can buy it somewhere else, in larger quantities? I can wax it myself if necessary. Thanks

I have a question about thread sizes. I hand stitch all my holsters with 000 saddle stitch needles. I have been using the pre-waxed stuff that Tandy sells, and I like it very well. However, I don't like paying $4.00 or so for 25 yards, which is the only way they sell it. The thread for their sewing awl is a bit too small, and their waxed nylon thread is too large for my tastes. I guess I'm like Goldilocks, and want it just right! Can any of you tell me what the equivalent thread size is, so I can buy it somewhere else, in larger quantities? I can wax it myself if necessary. Thanks

I don't know what size the Tandy thread is but I buy Barbour's Linen Flax cord from Campbell Bosworth. It's $47-ish for 1100 yards of #5 cord which works out to about 4 cents a yard. Right now you're paying about 16 cents a yard, that's 4 times the price!!! You would have to wax it yourself though, which I like, because it's not over waxed.

Maybe someone else will chime in about the size comparison...

Rawhide, thanks for the information. I don't hear a lot of others chiming in, :rolleyes2: , but you told me what I needed to know. I don't mind waxing my own, as I have had trouble with some pre-waxed thread being greatly over waxed. I do have one other question. I went to the Campbell Bosworth link you sent, and I noticed that along with the Barbours linen thread, they also offer Hungarian linen thread for $25.00. I know you get what you pay for, but am wondering if you have tried any of that? Thanks again for the information, John

Rawhide, thanks for the information. I don't hear a lot of others chiming in, :rolleyes2: , but you told me what I needed to know. I don't mind waxing my own, as I have had trouble with some pre-waxed thread being greatly over waxed. I do have one other question. I went to the Campbell Bosworth link you sent, and I noticed that along with the Barbours linen thread, they also offer Hungarian linen thread for $25.00. I know you get what you pay for, but am wondering if you have tried any of that? Thanks again for the information, John

John, I have not tried that...so I can't give you an educated comparison with the two...However, you will notice a difference in the threads, that you've been using and the linen...The linen doesn't stretch at all, so when you pull it tight, it won't get grayish on you like most of the tandy thread. It is more of a bone color, but looks white when stitching is complete.

Since you've been paying 25 for the tandy, it might not hurt to try the hungarian once and if you like it stick with it, if you don't, buy something else.

Good luck in your choices.

Rawhide, can you telll me what the difference is between right and left hand twist, obviously I know the difference, but application wise? And the same with cord count, can you break down the applications for the different cord counts. Rick

You can get waxed linen thread here

They sell in several weights and many colors. You can purchase a card with samples of all their threads so you know exactly what to order.

Hope this helps.

Rawhide, can you telll me what the difference is between right and left hand twist, obviously I know the difference, but application wise? And the same with cord count, can you break down the applications for the different cord counts. Rick

The difference between them is simple. The twist is generally for use in a sewing machine. I think the left is for the spool, and the right is for the bobbin, however for hand sewing, I don't think it matters, some will say it does, but I haven't had a problem yet.

You can get waxed linen thread here

They sell in several weights and many colors. You can purchase a card with samples of all their threads so you know exactly what to order.

Hope this helps.

One comment on this Hilly, is I prefer to wax my own thread, most prewaxed thread has WAY too much wax and requires an amount of "de-waxing". Plus, I'm going to start blending my beeswax with some rosin and the unwaxed thread will be easier to deal with cause I won't have to strip off their wax and putting my blend on.