Sign in to follow this  
DG Leather

Sun Star

Has anyone heard of sunstar? model # KM-590BL

I am looking at buying one to sew my leather....

Any insight or opinions?

It is a table unit. It is absolutely quiet, fast stitches and real slow stitches.....I am new to all this letaher work in last few months but going to [purchase this unit possibly but would love your input!!!!

Has anyone heard of sunstar? model # KM-590BL

I am looking at buying one to sew my leather....

Any insight or opinions?

It is a table unit. It is absolutely quiet, fast stitches and real slow stitches.....I am new to all this letaher work in last few months but going to [purchase this unit possibly but would love your input!!!!

Please help!

Looks like a Korean knock-off... basic medium weight, walking foot, unison feed lockstitch machine. It will max out at 40 oz of leather or about 5/8" though it won't like sewing through that much. Figure 1/2" as your max. Normal thread size will be #69 on a machine like this... maybe you can go a size higher.

I have a Juki 1541S which is a similar machine... maybe a bit heavier in its construction and duty... and probably heavier in cost too. Mine is quite good for most sewing tasks and I'm sure this machine will perform quite well for most things. For thick leather... there is simply no substitute for a heavy stitcher like the Juki 441 clones... Toro, Cobra, Cowboy etc. These machines take thread up to 415 unlike the medium weight machines which are not triple digit thread machines.

It all depends upon what you plan to sew with the machine. You need to evaluate your highest normal requirement. If you once in a blue moon have to stitch heavy leather, you can always ram that needle bar down... even if you have to flywheel it. But if you are going to sew tack, make gunholsters, or other heavy duty applications, consider a heavier machine.

My 1541 is a big, heavy sewing machine. It is pretty imposing to look at. But the difference between the 1541 and my Toro 4000 is HUGE. If I put 1/2" on veg-tan on the 1541, it will sew it but it strains to do the job. The Toro goes through it like a hot knife through butter... all day long.

The bottom line is don't skimp on sewing machines. If you have a big job, get a machine designed for the big job. With most machines you can go DOWN fairly easily but it is quite hard to go UP once you hit the design limits.

Hope those comments help.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

They do help...However, I am very limited as to what I can buy in store here so I may have to travel in order to get one.

I am so new I dont know differences in weights or sizes or gauges of thread even.

I want to learn and I want a sewing machine and I will buy them as I have been starting to sell my work some.

I will be getting some in a store soon even.

Thus I am left with the desire and motivation to go further and buy a sewing machine. The guy at the store said that the sunstar is as much as you get in sewing machine to sew thickness....

Also he said you wont find another machine as quite.

Also you dont have to push the wheel to get it started.

Also buying new allows me to not have to deal with possible lemons....I can wait though and get other machine.

what are normal thread sizes and needle gauges for holsters?

Saddles?

Fashion Belts (tooled)?

I assume saddles mostly are not done on the table machines rather the long armed ones...correct?

triple and/or double digit machines is in refernce to what?

how about a pfaff? 120 dbl split needle.

what is a split needle?

They do help...However, I am very limited as to what I can buy in store here so I may have to travel in order to get one.

I am so new I dont know differences in weights or sizes or gauges of thread even.

I want to learn and I want a sewing machine and I will buy them as I have been starting to sell my work some.

I will be getting some in a store soon even.

Thus I am left with the desire and motivation to go further and buy a sewing machine. The guy at the store said that the sunstar is as much as you get in sewing machine to sew thickness....

Also he said you wont find another machine as quite.

Also you dont have to push the wheel to get it started.

Also buying new allows me to not have to deal with possible lemons....I can wait though and get other machine.

what are normal thread sizes and needle gauges for holsters?

Saddles?

Fashion Belts (tooled)?

I assume saddles mostly are not done on the table machines rather the long armed ones...correct?

triple and/or double digit machines is in refernce to what?

Needle gauge typically refers to the distance between a double needle setup. You might have a 1/4" gauge which means that there is 1/4" between the two needles and thus between the two seam lines.

I would not buy a double or split needle machine as a beginner. It is hard enough to learn the intricacies of a single needle machine and how to sew. In my opinion, you should want a single needle lockstitch machine for your first machine.

Here are links to info on thread and needle sizes:

http://www.classicbells.com/verlane/sewing/thread.pdf

http://raphaelsewing.com/blog/?p=11

http://www.tippmannindustrial.com/images/p...hread-Guide.pdf

Now if you want to make saddles and gun holsters, I will tell you flat out that you should be thinking about a heavy leather stitcher. You are talking about very heavy duty sewing which requires a very heavy duty machine. You need to be able to sew with needles and thread several sizes beyond the capability of the machine you are considering.

If you just want to sew single layer belts, you could do that with the machine but you will not be able to use heavy thread or "cord". Lots of folks use heavier thread just for decorative purposes on these belts. You won't be able to do that. That Sunstar machine is designed to use thread like #69 or #92 while the heavier stitchers use thread in sizes #138, #207, #277, #346, and #415.

The heavy stitcher threads usually have three digits in the number while the medium class machines typically stay in the two digit range. The heavier threads are often called "cord". The machine you are considering is not really designed for "cord".

You might consider getting the Sunstar medium weight flatbed machine and using it to learn how to sew and then if you still have the bug... get one of the big stitchers like a Toro or a Cobra. They are expensive but they are tools to do big jobs that none of the smaller machines can do.

Yes I think that most of the saddle makers use cylinder arm machines. I don't make them but that is my understanding. There are plenty of them here who can tell you what they like best for that application.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana: