Sign in to follow this  
gazoo666

My first 2 tries

My first 2 try's at leather work. I did have a few problems mostly with gouging the bottom of the holsters. I have been using a number 58 drill bit after cutting the line then flipping over and trying to do the same on the bottom . But it is very difficult trying to follow those holes and the results are umm less than desirable. I read about using an awl and wondered if this was a better way to go ? I have bought this Awl but not to sure what I should be using with and what size either these or these. I thought the stitching awl was the way to go but not sure.

The burnishing is an issue to I just used a wood dowel in my drill press with some bees wax on it but I think my surface prep was a bit slack (I just sanded it with 220 grit).

Anyway any constructive criticism on both the leather work and the holsters .

DSC00528.JPG

DSC00530.JPG

DSC00528.JPG

DSC00530.JPG

post-10409-1243052940_thumb.jpg

post-10409-1243053123_thumb.jpg

Edited by gazoo666

Welcome to the forums.

Great job on your first projects. Im no holster guru so ....

They look good to me so Ill let the others comment on them. I really like your stitching and edges look good also.

The awl haft you linked will do fine, Im not sure about the osbourne blades but think about how long you need and get that and I think youll end up shaping them yourself anyways.

Oh and those are two of my favorite handguns. I have a MP40 and love it.

Your work looks really good for first attempts. I know mine were no where near as good. Heck mine are not that much better now, 6 months down the road!

I use these awl blades. Except the one I use most isn't listed. I use the #42 for almost everything. A #45 for heavy leather. I'm sewing a 2/3 liner to 14/16 harness right now and the 45 makes that possible. But for normal work I like the much smaller 42. The 42 is a 1 1/2", the 43 is 1 3/4. If that is the only difference it probably won't matter and you should get the #43.

I don't remember if I bought mine from Tandy or Weaver, pretty sure both companies carry them.

On your edging I think your edges look pretty good. Around the muzzle on the M&P could be better. You should also tighten up the stitch lines on the semi-autos, as your holster breaks in it will loosen up and probably lose the grip on the gun. For the SA they're fine.

Keep em coming!

Dan

Edited by dbusarow