z0Z

Should I keep this machine?

Hi All,

I am new here. My question this, should I keep this machine for leather work or should I consider one of the chinese clones, like tuffsew. I just can't afford to save up for a juki or something similar. Would a tuffsew or any other work for now? I will be doing wallets, belts, and chaps.Would a tuffsew work for now, I will get a better when I am rolling in dough LOL!!! If I am lucky maybe the sewing machine guru might chime in. Oh the machine I have is the singer 500a.

DSCF0038.JPG

DSCF0039.JPG

post-10546-1243395457_thumb.jpg

post-10546-1243395561_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

I am new here. My question this, should I keep this machine for leather work or should I consider one of the chinese clones, like tuffsew. I just can't afford to save up for a juki or something similar. Would a tuffsew or any other work for now? I will be doing wallets, belts, and chaps.Would a tuffsew work for now, I will get a better when I am rolling in dough LOL!!! If I am lucky maybe the sewing machine guru might chime in. Oh the machine I have is the singer 500a.

For a much smaller machine, I like the yamata/Feiyue, but only with the Monster wheel from Sailrite, which is another $130. This machine works well for prepping 3/4 oz suede and I have played around with up to a half inch of full grain leather. The maximum bobbin thread you want to use is 138. The maximum top thread is 207. But with these thicker threads, you will have more frequent bobbin changes. To put this machine in a case, you're looking at another $30 to $100 (for the sailrite case, which is a very good case) and you're almost up to $500. So now having gone through all this it's probably better to save a few hundred more and get an even better machine, one better suited for leather. I got this one because I needed the heaviest duty machine I could find in a portable footprint. For this, it's nice little machine.

http://www.efortunemall.com/servlet/Detail?no=27

ed

Old Singers most often have metal parts internally. They are capable of some serious sewing. That's why they last so long. OTOH... they are not industrial machines. They are not designed for that kind of heavy duty sewing. They are home sewing machines designed for moderate garment sewing.

Usually for leather applications an industrial machine is the better choice. Leather is a tough material to sew. It takes its toll on home machines fairly quickly. This is especially true as you start pushing the envelope and doing thicker and thicker leather.

The Singer home machine will almost certainly sew the things you mention but it is not designed for those applications. I would invest in an industrial machine. They are not as versatile but they are reliable workhorses designed to handle tough work.

I have both kinds and I always use my heavy industrial machines to sew leather.

My $.02.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

The Singer 500A machine was one of the last metal gear machines manufactured before the 600 series metal gear Touch and Sew machines. It is probably worth more today than when it was first bought. If you take care of this machine, it will last forever. Hi Ed, Hi Bree, hope all is well with nyou all. Thanks, Steve

The Singer 500A machine was one of the last metal gear machines manufactured before the 600 series metal gear Touch and Sew machines. It is probably worth more today than when it was first bought. If you take care of this machine, it will last forever. Hi Ed, Hi Bree, hope all is well with nyou all. Thanks, Steve

Hey Steve! I'm having fun watching you grow! LOL!

I had a guy over today who wanted some patches sewn on his vest and wanted them over some pockets. It was that old Singer 29K60 that got the call!! My big modern Juki and Toro 4000 just can't go there. But that old Singer built in Clydebank, Scotland in 1945 is still purring like a kitten with its treadle, long thin cylinder arm, and universal top feed. They just don't make em like that anymore! Machine is going to outlive me for sure. And it will still be sewing long after I am dead and buried.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Hi... For what it's worth, try really hard to find a way to step up to a new, good quality machine that will do what you want. Talk yourself into it!!! If you absolutely have to stick with a portable, I'd recommend a sailrite. I sell them, but you can probably buy one cheaper from someone else. Our straight stitch with a case runs 649.00. It will do what you want, but you will be much happier if you can buy a new industrial, such as a Cobra or Artisan. That way you've got the support that you need, and you'll for sure have a machine that will do what you want. Just my 2 cents worth... :)

Kevin Hopkins