Sign in to follow this  
Shorts

Will anyone make sample swatches?

I'm curious if there was a service or place that will color dip leather swatches (that I'd provide) for samples?

I figured I'd cut up my own leather, label each with a different color name then send them all together to the dye.

That would be great.

Edit: While I know every leather side will dye different, it would provide a better idea than the jpeg color samples on websites.

Edited by Shorts

Monica,

I don't know how many swatches you had in mind but it takes minutes to do that stuff. Why not set up a little production line of dye dips and produce your own?

I have a very basic system that works for me, I make up a batch of keyfobs tooled with my maker's stamp (I own the knife and have them cut on a clicking press) these are dipped in jam pots full of dye and left to dry. I only use half a dozen colours so each set takes minutes to dip. A quick wipe over with some Atom Wax and a good buff to get a shine, a quick spray to seal the back and minutes to make up with a split ring and rivet. Okay, if you are planning on doing a hundred colours then it may not be a good idea but small scale production is a breeze if you plan it right - best of all, each bit of the swatch carries my mark and is a marketing tool for years to come. I can make around 2-300 of these keyfobs in a morning if I really try. How many do you want to make? LOL

Ray

Monica,

I don't know how many swatches you had in mind but it takes minutes to do that stuff. Why not set up a little production line of dye dips and produce your own?

I have a very basic system that works for me, I make up a batch of keyfobs tooled with my maker's stamp (I own the knife and have them cut on a clicking press) these are dipped in jam pots full of dye and left to dry. I only use half a dozen colours so each set takes minutes to dip. A quick wipe over with some Atom Wax and a good buff to get a shine, a quick spray to seal the back and minutes to make up with a split ring and rivet. Okay, if you are planning on doing a hundred colours then it may not be a good idea but small scale production is a breeze if you plan it right - best of all, each bit of the swatch carries my mark and is a marketing tool for years to come. I can make around 2-300 of these keyfobs in a morning if I really try. How many do you want to make? LOL

Ray

Ray, the thought did cross my mind that I could be that person. My original intent was just wanting to be certain of some dyes I'd like to order :blush:

Maybe I ought to go ahead and consider a handful and go from there

Ray, the thought did cross my mind that I could be that person. My original intent was just wanting to be certain of some dyes I'd like to order :blush:

Maybe I ought to go ahead and consider a handful and go from there

Monica,

Dye is relatively cheap. Order whatever you like in the smallest quanties they do and try it. Choose the ones you want and make a set of swatches; the rest will always come in handy (I promise this is true!) when you need to match a piece of leather to an existing job. Go on - just do it! LOL

Monica,

Dye is relatively cheap. Order whatever you like in the smallest quanties they do and try it. Choose the ones you want and make a set of swatches; the rest will always come in handy (I promise this is true!) when you need to match a piece of leather to an existing job. Go on - just do it! LOL

Not sure if this is good encouragement or peer pressure :rofl: I think I'll make a nice little order for myself.

Thanks Ray!

Our guild president did exactly what you are needing except he did it on one sheet of leather and even included an area for final finishes, as well. It came out so nice that the Tandy store took it and now uses for their dye display. I can take a picture tomorrow and send it to you if you are interested? I don't know what he would charge to do it, but maybe I can ask him? It gave me an idea to do the same for geometric stamps.

Just let me know if what you need and consider it done. I am sorry, but he is not a member here.

I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but Goliger Leather Company has sample cards of what colors and kinds they offer. The number is 800-423-2329 or goligerleather.com. It's real leather samples, about 4 big sheets worth.

Hi Monica,

What you're wanting is not a bad thing, but there's really a good reason that you should do it yourself. We've fought with dipped samples thru the years, and as folks mentioned, they fade fairly quickly, and different leathers dye very differently. But if YOU dip the samples, it's in your mind as to how the colors come out, and it's also in your mind as to what happens to them over time. It also gives you credibility with your customers.... it kind of gives folks the idea that you know what you're talking about! :)

Kevin

Hi Monica,

What you're wanting is not a bad thing, but there's really a good reason that you should do it yourself. We've fought with dipped samples thru the years, and as folks mentioned, they fade fairly quickly, and different leathers dye very differently. But if YOU dip the samples, it's in your mind as to how the colors come out, and it's also in your mind as to what happens to them over time. It also gives you credibility with your customers.... it kind of gives folks the idea that you know what you're talking about! :)

Kevin

I couldn't agree more, Kevin. This is a learning curve that shouldn't be avoided. To be honest, it gave me an insight into colouring leather that has been invaluable. I was amazed at how quickly my colours faded when exposed to light but this knowledge allows me to sell with more confidence. I know almost exactly what will happen to the colours and finishes I use and can prepare customers for the change as I sell them the product - I call it 'developing a unique character' LOL