Sign in to follow this  
viejo

Hat bands....

A friend asked me to make him a hatband, and I've got it pretty well finished except for the final, exact sizing and sewing the ends together.

How do I attach it to the hat?

It's fairly thin leather, I don't want to stitch it to the hat as the thread will be noticable. I've thought about stapling it, but he'd have to be wearing the hat at the time, and he's already told me he won't sit still for that....

Hot glue?

I'm open to suggestions (although I still think stapling is the best way to go.....).....

Viejo, i was working on this one but it is not finished yet. most of mine are pulled around the hat

snug. then i mark the ends and cut , then fasten the two ends together with a WHIP STICH.

then carefully push the Band down on the hat,hatband.jpg

hatband.jpg

post-1906-1244175045_thumb.jpg

I've just sewn a loop of thread in the back before. I try to make it snug but I sew it just in case it comes loose so I don't loose it.

Art

The hate band looks great Luke!

Art

Viejo,

Most factory hatbands are connected with a single stitch, in two or three locations, that is tied under the sweatband. I think most after market hatbands are just snugged on......

Bob

I use a single stitch on mine, hiding it under the sweatband, but I have also used a tiny dab of glue. And I do mean tiny... I use the tip of a pin to put it in place. If I use the glue method, it's a tiny dab on each side, and I use an all-weather white glue. It's small enough that if you pull on it, you can easily pull it off without damaging the hat. If it's a custom hat the person just had made, they sometimes prefer this to the single stitch method. However the single stitch method is more secure.

I made one for my sons hat once. I used a concho on the band and put the screw through the hat too.

I've just sewn a loop of thread in the back before. I try to make it snug but I sew it just in case it comes loose so I don't loose it.

Art

The hate band looks great Luke!

Art

THANK YOU ART.........

ps check out "BUCKAROO HATTERS".COM A FRIEND OF MINE'S HAT SHOP

JUST OUTSIDE OF MEMPHIS.

and be sure to listen to the music by Dave Stamey..