Sign in to follow this  
Spinner

Floral practice

I don't have any finished pieces to post yet as I have only done 2 things so far, this being my third attempt at tooling but after meeting and talking to Wayne, Anne and Sandy at Standing Bear's Trading Post Saturday I thought it would be good to start seriously practicing (even though floral isn't really my thing) to determine where I am and what tools I am missing.

About half way through cutting I went inside and ordered 2 Barry King knives, the Tandy one was killing my hand and I had to strop it every 10 minutes or so. And, Wayne will like this, after getting this section done I realized there are a number of tools I could really use for the fine detail work.

It still needs to be completed, including some work to refine the edges, smooth things out with the modeling tool and such, but at least it's something to show where I'm at and get some feedback. Thanks!

Chris

Floral_practice_06082009.jpg

Floral_practice_06082009.jpg

post-10543-1244478376_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spinner

Chris,

That's a tough pattern to do when you're fighting your swivel knife. Hopefully Barry's knives will be easier to use. One of the things I noticed is that you are ending your knife cuts abruptly. They should be long flowing cuts that taper out to nothing. That will give a more pleasing appearnce.

Bob

Thanks for the feedback Bob. I can only honestly blame the knife for a small portion of it, I know that a major part is lack of experience as well.

I printed 5 copies of the same pattern (yes, I'm a glutton for punishment) to practice on. I did a practice piece that had nothing but bigger longer lines and felt fine with it. It seems that the smaller cuts, especially where two cuts intersect that I need a lot more practice to get them right. Hopefully the BK knifes with the larger diameter handles help, holding onto the smaller knife started killing me after a while.

looks really good. know what you mean about the tandy knives. I bought the stolman brand swivel knife i like it alright but i do not like the blades. let me know how you like the barry king knives because that is what i was planning to purchase next.

Rick

Thanks Rick. I'll definitely post how they work out when I get them. Wayne at Standing Bear's showed me a number of knives Saturday that felt so much better (larger barrel & 10x smoother bearing action) than Tandy's and the blade quality was visibly better.

I don't have any finished pieces to post yet as I have only done 2 things so far, this being my third attempt at tooling but after meeting and talking to Wayne, Anne and Sandy at Standing Bear's Trading Post Saturday I thought it would be good to start seriously practicing (even though floral isn't really my thing) to determine where I am and what tools I am missing.

About half way through cutting I went inside and ordered 2 Barry King knives, the Tandy one was killing my hand and I had to strop it every 10 minutes or so. And, Wayne will like this, after getting this section done I realized there are a number of tools I could really use for the fine detail work.

It still needs to be completed, including some work to refine the edges, smooth things out with the modeling tool and such, but at least it's something to show where I'm at and get some feedback. Thanks!

Chris

Howdy Chris

For your 3rd carving, that's not too shabby. I do think you are tring to work with your leather too wet. Also try to do your background last when the leather is much drier, it will stay down better.

WC

Howdy Chris

For your 3rd carving, that's not too shabby. I do think you are tring to work with your leather too wet. Also try to do your background last when the leather is much drier, it will stay down better.

WC

Thanks Wayne, I'll give that a try. It's tough to find that sweet spot when casing if you haven't seen someone do it yet and know what it's supposed to look/feel like (moisture content wise). Looking forward to the class so I can see how some of this is supposed to look when done correctly!