Sign in to follow this  
KliffsKustomHouse

Black Seat... Fish Scales!

Hey Guys,

Here's a seat I finished up last night. A mate had a West Eagle pan lying around that he didn't end up using. It's my first crack at black and I went for something different in the tooling too. Inspiration came from the old metalflake fish scale paintjobs.... I just applied it to texture a seat. As you will see from the photos I had a bit of trouble with the lacing though. I tied the top and bottom leathers together at every 4th hole in preparation for lace which has been fine on previous seats... this time it has left undulations in the lace. Do you think I need to tie at smaller intervals or adjust my pattern? I did take my time lacing it up and I was outside at a bike show in the coldish conditions when I did it.... would that make a difference in making the leather stay in the position leaving the undulations? Also I've read on the forum that black can come off on your butt. I used Raven Oil and then used a sealer over the top. Will I need to use a lacquer? I like the sheen it has now so I'd rather not.

Again, thanks for checking it out and any feedback.

Thanks,

Kliff \m/_

IMG_0844.JPG

IMG_0841.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

IMG_0844.JPG

IMG_0841.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

post-8028-1244722998_thumb.jpg

post-8028-1244723014_thumb.jpg

post-8028-1244723039_thumb.jpg

post-8028-1244723063_thumb.jpg

Looks great, those fish scales are very nice and even.

As far as the black there was a post that I think Pete posted about using bick4's and black dye and he didnt get any ruboff, there were a few steps involved. How long that will last though is another story. Its an ongoing battle it seems.

Kliff,

My real concern would be the lacing undulations.... What weight leathers here? I use 6-8 oz front and back on mine. 8 oz leather would be approximately 1/8" thickness.

Not to sound like a smart a$$ but you may want to consider buying a pair of black jeans.....

David

Edited by David

That is an awesome looking seat!!!