Howling Wolf Leather

The Leathercraft Guild - June 2009 Meeting

The June 14th 2009 from 1PM to 4PM at Standing Bear's it will be on the 2ND SUNDAY of June due to Father's day. Guests and members please park in the back of the store as the front is locked because Standing Bear's Trading Post is closed on Sundays.

Standing Bear's Trading Post is located at 7624 Tampa Avenue in Reseda, CA. dead center between the 101 and 118 freeways on Tampa Avenue.

This months meeting Wayne Christensen owner of Leather by WC and Standing Bear's Trading Post will be leading a Swivel Knife Finesse Workshop. The only thing you need to bring with you is a swivel knife, strop, stylus and a pencil.

Leather will be provided by Standing Bear's Trading Post.

Hope to see you all there!!

Sandi

The Leathercraft Guild

SadEyes

Great news...maybe you can share a tutorial with WC's permission here on the net for us?

Appreciate any effort!

Hey Kings,

I was fortunate to sit in on Wayne's lesson. Definitely gave me reason to practice my swivel knife technique more! It was pretty straight forward too. He simply had a floral pattern that was mostly scrolls (5" x 5") and gave us just the major outlines to use as our pattern. We traced the pattern and then cut it in with our swivel knives. Once we had all the outlines, he gave us the interior details via a photocopy and we had to freehand the details with our knives without tracing them first. It was great practice for judging placement, shape and technique.

Next time I talk to him, I'll ask about posting the samples used in the lesson.

Chris

SadEyes

Great news...maybe you can share a tutorial with WC's permission here on the net for us?

Appreciate any effort!

I will see what I can get, If you are looking for good information on "Swivel Knife Finesse" or Finger Cutting in leather Al Gould recently had an article in The Leather Crafters Saddlers Journal explaining how it is done.

The basic thing that WC taught was that in doing Finger cutting you treat each cut as if it were a decorative cut in leather. You would start heavy and let the knife lift out at the base of the cut.

Pictures will be posted on The Leathercraft Guild Myspace and Facebook by the end of the week and a link will be put on our Twitter

I apologize for my delayed response, time does not allow me to be on leatherworker.net as much as I would like.

Hey Kings,

I was fortunate to sit in on Wayne's lesson. Definitely gave me reason to practice my swivel knife technique more! It was pretty straight forward too. He simply had a floral pattern that was mostly scrolls (5" x 5") and gave us just the major outlines to use as our pattern. We traced the pattern and then cut it in with our swivel knives. Once we had all the outlines, he gave us the interior details via a photocopy and we had to freehand the details with our knives without tracing them first. It was great practice for judging placement, shape and technique.

Next time I talk to him, I'll ask about posting the samples used in the lesson.

Chris

WC said that he will come up with another pattern to be able to share with leatherworker.net and other groups as this pattern is being used on a project he is currently working on.

He shared the pattern used in the workshop with members of The Leathercraft Guild but does not want it distributed to the public at this time.

Understandable. I appreciate it.