Need opinions please. I finally got around to making a tuckable kydex clip that will convert my holsters to tuckable. I was wondering what you all thought about them. I'm not sure I like them. They seem abit on the bulky side, but, maybe its just me.

HPIM2259.jpg

Clips look nice. As you said they might be bulky. Best thing is to try it out and see how they carry.

Good work :thumbsup:

I considered converting my looped iwb to tuckable but after banging my head against the wall it was much more efficient and productive to just build a dedicated tuckable model.

Clips look nice. As you said they might be bulky. Best thing is to try it out and see how they carry.

Good work :thumbsup:

I considered converting my looped iwb to tuckable but after banging my head against the wall it was much more efficient and productive to just build a dedicated tuckable model.

Thanks :D I've been wearing it around for about an hour now. They get the job done, and I can't really complain.

Like you, I also made a dedicated tuckable holster. I seem to prefer that one since its not as bulky. LMAO I guess comparing it to a thinner design will make it bulky no matter what.

I think i'm going to make them with a little less tuck, a little shorter. That should take care of the problem. They seemed to stick out a little since they were so long.

I'll report back.

Glad to see the evaluation (I love "the process" of making a good thing better). Looking forward to the next one!

I'd like to know how you got the edges of the Kydex so smooth. :rolleyes2:

I'd like to know how you got the edges of the Kydex so smooth. :rolleyes2:

I've been experimenting with different things. Right now I use a belt sander to bevel the edges. Then a grooved wooden dowel wrapped with denim on a dremel tool. The same kind of thing you might use on leather edges. Then I run a buffing wheel over it. The whole process is actually pretty quick and it makes the edges look nice.

You can make nice edges by hand with just sand paper and a piece of denim, its just slower.

I've been experimenting with different things. Right now I use a belt sander to bevel the edges. Then a grooved wooden dowel wrapped with denim on a dremel tool. The same kind of thing you might use on leather edges. Then I run a buffing wheel over it. The whole process is actually pretty quick and it makes the edges look nice.

You can make nice edges by hand with just sand paper and a piece of denim, its just slower.

In my younger days, I was working with plexiglas for one of our jobs. I was shown by coworker that by sanding the edges smooth (belt sander with 80ish grit, and not perfect), the edges could be quickly polished with a torch (we were using oxy-aceteletine) to be as clear as the sheet. The flame was with a welding tip, nowhere near the hottest setting, and quickly moving the flame along the edge. If you lingered or went too slow, then bubbles would be raised and the surface scared. It stands to reason that the same could be done with the kydex, maybe with a propane, map, or butane torch? Worth a try, work on some scrap, could save you a lot of time.

Good calls - I've made some Kydex clips, but dressing the edge is something I haven't been happy with, so I haven't used them.

Thanks for sharing woolfe - great looking setup.

In my younger days, I was working with plexiglas for one of our jobs. I was shown by coworker that by sanding the edges smooth (belt sander with 80ish grit, and not perfect), the edges could be quickly polished with a torch (we were using oxy-aceteletine) to be as clear as the sheet. The flame was with a welding tip, nowhere near the hottest setting, and quickly moving the flame along the edge. If you lingered or went too slow, then bubbles would be raised and the surface scared. It stands to reason that the same could be done with the kydex, maybe with a propane, map, or butane torch? Worth a try, work on some scrap, could save you a lot of time.

Thats a great idea. I'm going to give that a shot, I happen to have some oxy-aceteletine. Thanks!

Here is my final product. Thanks for the help!!!

tuck_convert_02.jpg

tuck_convert_04.jpg

Beautiful holster

Thank you!

Its a customers order, I'm shipping it tomorrow. I don't think he would mind it was in a little photo shoot before it went out. :D

I like it too. Very nice...your customer will be happy.

Carl

Excuse my ignorance but how do these hook on? It seems like there are more curves and bends that are needed.

Thanks for explaining.

Art

Excuse my ignorance but how do these hook on? It seems like there are more curves and bends that are needed.

Thanks for explaining.

Art

The easiest way to explain is with a picture. So here you go, hope this helps.

tuck_convert_05.jpg

The easiest way to explain is with a picture. So here you go, hope this helps.

tuck_convert_05.jpg

Beautiful. Did you try the heat? I'm interested to hear results.

Beautiful. Did you try the heat? I'm interested to hear results.

I briefly played around with a propane torch. I gave up rather quickly. It seemed to deliver heat to fast. I imagine if I took the time to find just the right distance away from the flame it would work. Also, I just don't feel comfortable working with a flame that hot on something small that I'm holding in my hands. I know with out a doubt I would end up getting burnt.

I would have a hard time explaining to my wife that I burnt the house down making a holster...lol

Edited by carljc72

Is it possible to make a kydex clip that you can attach a belt loop to instead of using the regular clips? I've got a holster coming in soon and am thinking about trying to make one to convert my holster to tuckable while still being able to use the leather loops which I prefer for attachment purposes. Seems like it would be pretty easy.

Is it possible to make a kydex clip that you can attach a belt loop to instead of using the regular clips? I've got a holster coming in soon and am thinking about trying to make one to convert my holster to tuckable while still being able to use the leather loops which I prefer for attachment purposes. Seems like it would be pretty easy.

Possible. I've toyed with the idea myself but haven't got around to building anything.

That would work and it would be pretty easy to do. I originally wanted to do something similar, maybe the same thing you are talking about. Make a "U" shape out of a Kydex strip and just attach your belt loop to one end of it. You can get Kydex 12" x 12" squares from http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=41_54_136 for less than 10 bucks and all you would need is a way to cut off 2 strips, drill holes, and a Bic lighter to heat the kydex where you want to bend it. I use a table saw to cut mine and a drill press to drill the holes, you could do both with a dremel tool.