Sign in to follow this  
neelsaddlery

WEAVER LEATHER MACHINERY AUCTION REPORT

Hello Folks:

Just got back from the 25th annual Weaver Leather auction. It was a buyer's market for sure. They had the widest selection of leather I have ever seen there, and after talking with some of the long timers at Weaver, I found out that this auction could very well have had the most leather at any auction Weaver held in the past.

Tons and tons of leather. Leather by the piece, by the roll, and by the pallet!!!! Some of the leather sold so low that Paul Weaver himself came across the loudspeaker to say that a particular lot of leather was actually being sold at below the tannery minimum bid!!! They sold it anyhow!!!!

I bought 6 sides of heavy russet Herman Oak harness leather for $65.00 a side!!!!!

Machinery sold for pennies on the dollar. I saw several good Union Lockstitch machines in perfect sewing order sell for under $900.00. I saw a good Juki 441 sell for $1200.00. I saw a like new Ferdco Pro 2000 bring $2200.00. I saw a like new Ferdco pro 440 bring $350.00.

I took 7 brand new machines to the auction, and let's just say I would have been better off donating them to charity!!!!! But I let them go anyhow, and made some lucky bidders happy. What the heck.

That is all part of the phenomenon that is the Weaver leather auction. Some years machines sell for for so much money that the consignors have to pinch themselves because they made so much money, and other years they are singin' the blues. This year was a great year for the buyers, and a terrible year for the sellers.

Weaver also seemed to be offering machines for insanely low prices on auction day. I think the economy is definitely affecting all machinery sales. It was evident in the prices at the auction, and also the prices on for the show specials that Weaver was offering.

The buyers that picked up some bargains at this auction definitely got their money's worth.

And that, my friends, is the rest of the story!!!!

Kindest Regards,

Ryan O. Neel

Neel's Saddlery and Harness

Cowboy Sewing Machines

Wow sounds like a good time to be had. Bad economy is only bad for those without money, if you have money you can make a killing.

Where and when does this weaver thing go on at. I think it would be cool to try and make it to one of these events.

I went to the Smuckers auction and was in aww at what the machines were going for! I passed up a killer deal on a 900-b bull becuase I really had no room for it in my truck with the union lock that was in my truck becuase I couldnt pass that deal up! there were junk buyers buying brass buckles and the old unions that were not working for scrap! It was pretty sad, I SHOULD have bought more! Sounds like the weaver auction was a buyers market too! Is anyone going to Mose Miller's auction next month? I want to try to make it down there.

-Andrew

Thanks very much for all the info.

Wow sounds like a good time to be had. Bad economy is only bad for those without money, if you have money you can make a killing.

Where and when does this weaver thing go on at. I think it would be cool to try and make it to one of these events.

The Weaver Leather auction is at their corporate headquarters in Mount Hope, Ohio. It is about 50 miles west of Canton, Ohio. Canton is the home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The auction is either in June or July of every year. It is usually the 3rd week of the month.

The big problem in times of economic downturn is the MOST people are strapped for cash. Only the relative minority have the funds available to take advantage of rip roarin' deals.

If you are one of the lucky few, consider yourself blessed.

Kindest Regards,

Ryan O. Neel

Cowboy Sewing Machines

I went and had a great time. I bought some super nice leather machinery for super cheap. I overloaded my truck big-time! I think the bidders were asleep the first couple of hours! lol I bought about $8000 dollars worth of items for about 250 bucks. I really wish I would have taken a trailer. I have never seen these machines sell for so cheap. I pitty you Neel on at least one of your machines I saw sell. I could not believe how low it went. I would have bought it, but I only buy American made machinery. Still tired from the event. lol

I went and had a great time. I bought some super nice leather machinery for super cheap. I overloaded my truck big-time! I think the bidders were asleep the first couple of hours! lol I bought about $8000 dollars worth of items for about 250 bucks. I really wish I would have taken a trailer. I have never seen these machines sell for so cheap. I pitty you Neel on at least one of your machines I saw sell. I could not believe how low it went. I would have bought it, but I only buy American made machinery. Still tired from the event. lol

You should have bought one. Told you they went cheap!!!! Oh well, I consider it my gift to the Weaver Auction and all who attended. It will be the first and last time I will ever let machines go for that low of a price. Should you feel pity for me, no. You should be happy that the folks that bought them got a great deal. My loss was their gain.

You should have bought some of the American made machines there. I saw at last three Union Lockstitch machines in excellent condition sell for $700.00 or less.

Or, how about those Champion wide throat machines that were reconditioned that went for pennies on the dollar.

The super low prices were not on China built machines alone.

Ryan O. Neel

Cowboy Sewing Machines

Ryan,

I have a champion wide throat and a Singer 97-10 I use. They both sew great. I was just out of room and so was everyone else I knew there. It was a lot of fun to say the least. Is there also an auction at the harness man's get together in Ky?

Thanks!

Ryan

I do not think there is an auction at the harness maker's get together. But I could be wrong. Anybody else know if there is any auction at the get together?

Ryan O. Neel

Cowboy Sewing Machines