jana

A question about scabbards and sheaths

Is there such a thing as a scabbard for a great sword? The Baronial Champion of the local SCA Barony has asked me to replace the existing one with a scabbard that is more ceremonial. The research that I have done shows me a lot of scabbards, but not for a great sword. Do I just need to re-make the existing one with something to re-enforce the tip? Suggestions are deeply appreciated.

Thank you

sword_1.JPG

sword_2.JPG

sword_3.JPG

post-10848-1245821113_thumb.jpg

post-10848-1245821130_thumb.jpg

post-10848-1245821153_thumb.jpg

This is the William Wallace aka Braveheart sword and it's a replica from the one used in the movie. The dimensions are impressive, take it outside and have a testswing with it;-) Don't loose your balance!!

The research I have done gave little answers so I never built a scabbard for it. Apperently there is little evidence left of the original scabbards that can tell us how they wore them. However I did find a source that I've now forgotten that suggested that they were carried on the back in such a manner that when they pulled the sword the whole scabbard came loose and from the swinging motion and gravity it came off by itself so the sword was ready for action as soon as it was drawn. For that type it was also suggested that the sheath part only covered the tip of the sword like the one on your pic.

Theese two pics shows a man with something like a crossing harness wich has a clasp/hanger type thingie on the back that the sword is hanging from.

I just have theese pics on my harddrive without further info on the whereabouts of the depicted scabbard but I think it may have been someone in Scotland that produce and sell those.

Tom

1038_ok2.jpg

1038_ok.jpg

post-5146-1245842732_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1245842745_thumb.jpg

A quick research on google tells me that CAS IBERIA manufacturer of the Braveheart sword doesn't carry it anymore but I found this re-seller that has both the sword and a scabbard + showing one of the scotsman pics I posted.

It is here: http://www.swordsdirect.com/leather-back-scabbard.html

Tom

Well have to remember that most of the scabbards from those days are long gone so we will never really know what everyone used. Maybe we got a few samples here and there but that doesnt cover what everyone did.

Anyways I am no sword buff but do remember reading a long time ago about those swords a little bit and recall that they supposedly werent built with full length enclosed scabbards because to draw them out of such a scabbard you would need like a 10 foot reach or something. Bascially they used similer to what you have because of the plain usuability of it.

You could try making a mock one up and putting it on and see if it can be drawn like that, assuming your arm length is similer to the customers. You may find it works in which case Im sure someone in history did it, if it doesnt work Id assume they figured that out as well and didnt do it.

Thank you both for the answers, I will be going back and talk to the Current Champion to see what he would like done...

I have to chuckle at the idea of swinging the great sword or even drawing it from a scabbard... standing it on tip the pommel barely clears my chin. :whistle: Something or someone (me) would end up damaged!! Again I appreciate your time and answers and will post the results when it is done.

Looking at the photos I would first suggest that you tell said person not to rest the sword in a standing position since the exact same thing will happen to the tip again.

Over all, I'd say the design is sound for what it is. I would say remake the clasp on the top so that it uses a deer-antler pin instead. It also seems like the scabbard was painted with acrylic paints, so using alcohol based leather dye may be a better looking option.

Edit: Oh, and while I'm thinking of it, you can reinforce the tip a bit by inserting a piece of hardened leather between the two sides of the sheath. I tend to use wax hardened leather on my sheaths since it will allow the sword to slide easier and it will not absorb blade oil as quickly.

Edited by RuehlLeatherWorks

I recognize the heraldry for Mons Tonitrus...

I have no idea what kind of scabbard greatswords used.

I found this useful for making awesome scabbards:

scabbardhelp.gif

Hey Tracker you got a link or could you upload the full size version of that paper. Looks really useful. I remember the scabbard you posted and that thing looked killer for sure.

Hi Jana,

If you follow the pattern above you'll get close to a period piece. The intergrated hanging belt was a complex and therefor expensive item. Here is one of mine, the inner core is in cuir boulli as opposed to wood but the shape and later construction is similar.

DSCF3813.jpg

DSCF3819-1.jpg

Cheers

Mike

Mike, that is certainly a beautiful piece and would very much like to create something like it, but I am needing to make a sheath or baldric for a great sword. With the information that Tom gave me I found a couple of examples that will start me off. I went ahead and attached them. I will be adapting the design to work for the customer. Thank you for posting your pictures, I now have another project

on my list of things to recreate!!

Claymore_Baldric_001.jpg

Claymore_Baldric_002.jpg

post-10848-1247806231_thumb.jpg

post-10848-1247806251_thumb.jpg

there is always the option of the "trowing scabbards".

the belt is loose on the shoulder and you swing the sword to removed the scabbard. The only problem is damaging it.

Mike,

I loved your scabbard and belt so much, I finally made one...it was tricky to figure out the strap/scabbard tie-ins, but I got it done! Thanks for the great photos!

My question today is wrapping the handle...I love your handle, however, I have failed in getting mine to look as nice...

Is there a tutorial, or any info material suggestions you might have to assist me? Thanks again. I have had many many positive comments on my gear since its completion last week. I think I may have a workshop sometime for the rest of our group.

Cheers, Don (dmacmullin@qualico.com)