rcsaddles

Whip handle

A guy brought me a whip to replace the handle. I had this handle made out of oak, cost $10.00. The braiding is a 16 plait, the top button is a 5 X 4 Turks Head doubled. The knob is a pineapple. I know there is room for improvement but that is why we post here.

th_P1020366.jpg

th_P1020365.jpg

Joe

Joe

Nice work. I like the color contrast. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Hi Joe.

I'm not a whip cracker. But this is what I will say about your whip. First this is not a critique. Your whip handle looks really, really nice.

But this is what I would've done with the handle. Your pineapple knot at the top was made from a 7 part 6 bight turks head as the base knot, I would have expanded that base knot to be larger, like a 12 part 11 bight base turks head, so I could have covered the top of the handle with the pineapple interweave. I would have not put in the turks head below the pineapple knot at all, simply because it is just taking away from the braid. The bottom turks head I would have enlarged that to a 10 part 9 bight turks head and left it as a single pass giving it a more pronounced look.

Again that is what I would have done. I do like what you have now. It does look really, really nice. So please don't take any offense to what I said above. Just look at it as another idea for the next one.

Brian...

Thanks Mike, I appreciate it.

Brian, I am by no means an expert braider. The knots are my weakness so I stuck with the ones I know on this project. Needs to be delivered quickly. I have to admit, the turks head below the pineapple knot is covering the string where I tied on the handle braid. The lesser of two evils I guess.

I do appreciate your taking time to look and let me know what you think. I will look at these knots you mentioned and practice them.

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by rcsaddles