Sign in to follow this  
TigerPal

Newbie with new Visor Pattern

Hello from Georgia - off-again, on-again amateur for about 25 yrs, making a first attempt at designing something. This started when a buddy asked to have a visor made. Found and followed a nice pattern in a back issue of LCSJ. He liked it, but "could you make a sweat band for my 'high forehead' ... and could it be removable and washable too"? Had some belting left over from making shoulder straps (looks like military web belts), but ... how to make it removable? Better half suggested Velcro - so I had the answer!! Then, I was asked to make several with military insignia for a reunion. While working on those, I made some stamping mistakes, wasting the long band. In order to cut down on wasted scrap, I cut out the middle part of the band, and sewed in a new smaller section. So, here are the results: First picture, top to bottom: 3/4 inch Velcro (hook part) sewed to 1 inch belting; middle section of the band; sides pieces of the band; buckle and keeper strap; bill. Second picture: finished visor. Third picture: inside, with part of the sweatband folded back for illustration. I did all the carving and finishing first, then glued the loop portion of the Velcro to inside of the band, and only THEN did the punching, so the Velcro would be both glued and sewed in. Used a French edger to taper the inside curve of the bill.

:whatdoyouthink:

Visor_1.JPG

Visor_2.JPG

Visor_3.JPG

post-10909-1247109161_thumb.jpg

post-10909-1247109178_thumb.jpg

post-10909-1247109198_thumb.jpg

Hello from Georgia - off-again, on-again amateur for about 25 yrs, making a first attempt at designing something. This started when a buddy asked to have a visor made. Found and followed a nice pattern in a back issue of LCSJ. He liked it, but "could you make a sweat band for my 'high forehead' ... and could it be removable and washable too"? Had some belting left over from making shoulder straps (looks like military web belts), but ... how to make it removable? Better half suggested Velcro - so I had the answer!! Then, I was asked to make several with military insignia for a reunion. While working on those, I made some stamping mistakes, wasting the long band. In order to cut down on wasted scrap, I cut out the middle part of the band, and sewed in a new smaller section. So, here are the results: First picture, top to bottom: 3/4 inch Velcro (hook part) sewed to 1 inch belting; middle section of the band; sides pieces of the band; buckle and keeper strap; bill. Second picture: finished visor. Third picture: inside, with part of the sweatband folded back for illustration. I did all the carving and finishing first, then glued the loop portion of the Velcro to inside of the band, and only THEN did the punching, so the Velcro would be both glued and sewed in. Used a French edger to taper the inside curve of the bill.

:whatdoyouthink:

This is really cool. Me being a former Marine makes me like it even more. I love how the people on this forum post their own creations, it is amazing how much talent is shown here. Your visor is a good example of what people can do with some old leather! Keep up the good work!!!

I can't seem to draw any of my own pattern pieces, any chance that if I sent you the postage and money for tracing paper you could trace the pieces for me? My dad would love one!!!!

Are you looking for the pattern for cutting the leather, the pattern for carving/stamping, or both? Either way, if you'll PM your address to me, I'll send to you on plastic tracing film - no charge.