Sign in to follow this  
dustin29

stropping

I made a stropping block out of 3/4 inch oak board, and cemented a piece of leather to it. I use jewelers rouge on the leather, but when I stropp my blade the rouge gets flakey and rough almost like cement. Is this supposed to happen?

I've never had it do that. I just made my 4th one and I read to get the leather wet with honing oil, let sit overnight then coat with rouge. Works pretty good.

Charlie

Should I wash off all of the rouge then put the honing oil on?

Honing oil should soak in even with the rouge. But let the leather sit for a day for the oil to soak in. If it's flaking off, try a little water and rub the chunk of rouge into the leather. You should see the rouge break down a little when it's wet. After i've used the strop and it's time to put more rouge on, dip in water and rub on again.

this will depend on the rouge quality...If the rouge is really hard like chalk it will flake for a short period of time, if the rouge is waxy, it shouldn't flake at all. The honing oil will sort of make the rouge act as a waxy type. The more you strop on it, the less it will flake.

Thanks for the advice. I soaked the leather with honing oil, and it helped out alot. The jewelers rouge was some I bought from Tandy.

Can anyone define Honing Oil ? How is it different to other oils?

Tony.

Honing oil is what you put on a stone to sharpen tools with...you can find it at a wood supply store like woodcraft, maybe even home depot or lowes.

But, is honing oil different to general household oil which I have always used on oils stones. Is there a difference in viscosity or what? I actually keep my oil stones in a plastic container of diesel all the time and it keeps them saturated and clean.

Tony.

But, is honing oil different to general household oil which I have always used on oils stones. Is there a difference in viscosity or what? I actually keep my oil stones in a plastic container of diesel all the time and it keeps them saturated and clean.

Tony.

Hey Tony, For my straight razors I used chromium oxide powder mixed with boot oil or neatsfoot oil to a paint consistency and spread it on either leather or balsa wood. I think what's important is that it absorbs in the leather without damage and blends well with the rouge you are using. I would mix a little and try it even if on a scrap piece of leather.

Ray

I think this has a lot to do with the type of rouge you use. some are intended to be used dry, others are not. I've found that WD 40 works pretty well to help a dry blend adhere better. I think honing oil is a lot lighter than general household oil. Maybe one of the knife guys could jump in here and tell all of us about both.