rdb

Softtail Swingarm bag

Had to make a quicky bag for a bro, today. Spent about 4-5 hrs, so far. I need the bike to figure out how to strap it on, so that parts not done. It's meant to actually strap to the swingarm, not the tin. But for a fast one, this turned out okay. Well, at least it will hold stuff for his trip.

Front and back are 8-9 oz veg tan, sides are 4-5 oz ( collapsible was the operative word...maybe). Dyed with saddle tan mixed with Neatsfoot, and a quick brushover with walnut/neatsfoot. Sno Proof top coat.

I wish I could of put more time into making it better, but he needs it...

Thanx for looking...

-Dave

HPIM2143__Large_.JPG

HPIM2144__Large_.JPG

HPIM2145__Large_.JPG

HPIM2146__Large_.JPG

HPIM2147__Large_.JPG

HPIM2148__Large_.JPG

post-5140-1247773906_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1247773928_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1247773948_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1247773961_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1247773973_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1247773983_thumb.jpg

Dave

great work good stuff as always thanks for sharing.

Josh

Ps must had some sharp tools ha?

Thanx jbird!

That strop is getting well used, donchuworry.

It would have taken me 4-5 hours to figure out the pattern! Nicely done.

Good stuff! He'll be a happy biker.

Might get more leather ordered now - you know his buddys will want one or two.

Thanx az, Casey!

az, I don't count figgerin' time..lol, so We're even, I'll bet.

Hopefully, you are right Casey. A couple of guys are still in Iraq, but when they get back, I'm hoping there's gonna be some "I want one".

Had to make a quicky bag for a bro, today. Spent about 4-5 hrs, so far. I need the bike to figure out how to strap it on, so that parts not done. It's meant to actually strap to the swingarm, not the tin. But for a fast one, this turned out okay. Well, at least it will hold stuff for his trip.

Front and back are 8-9 oz veg tan, sides are 4-5 oz ( collapsible was the operative word...maybe). Dyed with saddle tan mixed with Neatsfoot, and a quick brushover with walnut/neatsfoot. Sno Proof top coat.

Thanx for looking...

-Dave

cool job, especially liked the tip of your Tennis shoes in most picture....HiHiHi...

OK, ther bag is great for a quick job, these kind of bags are "hip" right now...I got tons of people need one of them !!

Ur flaps would be better as a whole part of the sides, keeps seems out of weather and does not wear out to fast...sides out of lighter material is Ok if it keeps somewhat the original shape....u have some folds in there...but no biggie...I like the outer front stitched to the sides better when lay top over top, urs is inside to inside...top over top seems more clean look and gives more ( better shape, form, cleaner look...)

All in all this is a great side bag!!!!

well done!!

I have been doing many bags for all kind of scooters...u done a bro a

heck of a favor!!!

JimBob

www.berkheimarts.com

good looking bag!

would have taken me at least that long just to stitch it up

Looks like a great job.

Very nice looking Bag! Any biker I know would be proud to carry that bag!

Thanx everyone. I know it ain't perfect, but nothing I do is. I'm more like the neighborhood handyman. Can't afford to buy 10 hides from W&C every week, and have to make do with the sections of leather I do have.

I do like the design shape, though (patent pending guys...lol). These rear solo bags are hard to come by, I guess. There's only a few out there making them, or at least the google thinks so. My metal fabricator buddy is going to try and design a small universal bracket, instead of buckle and straps, to make putting it on various bikes. Don't know how that will work out yet, but he's damn good, so stay tuned. We may be starting a Design Site for the projects we collabarate on...we're working on garden gongs, swivel knives, head knifes, holsters for motorcycles, sheesh, just about anything we start yakking about. It takes my head out of the shop for a little while, so that's fun.

I like this. Very nice work. Of course now I want to make a new bag for my bike.

That is a sweet bag. I agree with Roger about the sewing time, looks like you got most edges burnished and nice too.

Good one, your bro owes you a beer!!

Tom

Thanx for looking...

-Dave

Hi Dave

You will see from my previous posts that I made a solo bag for my Sportster 48. Please could I ask you if you do not have a template for your bag? I am about to make one for a buddy (His bike is a Softail) and although the size will be the same, I will be making it out of one singe piece of leather...

Thanks and if you don't, please do not feel bad telling me so.

Kind regards

Aubrey Kloppers

Cape Town

South Africa

It would have taken me 4-5 hours to figure out the pattern! Nicely done.

In the top of this section is a pattern called Triangle Bag which is a pattern for a swing arm...All the measurements are there and shapes for your use:)

RDB: GREAT BAG BRO!!!!!!!!

KEEP POUNDING!!!

Maybe one day I'll get a sewing machine....I have actually have had a couple but they just looked cool in the corner of the shop and never got used:) hahahaha

By The way...

The best solution I have found for attaching these kinds of bags ( because of the chain/belt) Is using the 2 bolts that hold the Chain guard on for the top section, and if there is no chain guard...then:

Use a 2 U bolts with a metal bracket on the inside of each set of bolts....

If you smell what I'm cooking....

Dang I had diagram...but I guess it is MIA! DANG!!!!!! But here is a view so you can see....just make a cardboard templet of the back line it up on the bike...then make the holes in the template and transfer the holes from the pattern to the ready made bag....but you are a smart guy and probably WAY AHEAD OF ME ON THAT!!!!!

On the picture below of the frame I just used the 2 bolts holding the chain cover and washers...It isn't a huge bag so it really won't ever carry much weight, so 2 bolts on top and 2 U bolt on the bottom are MORE than enough.

post-28433-042803000 1339791575_thumb.jp

post-28433-007429700 1339791580_thumb.jp

Edited by chancey77

Aubrey: Sorry, no. One of a kind type custom job templates tend to disappear quick around here. I'm a messy kind of guy...lol

Chancey: Good suggestions. I once had a friend from Finland, named Ugo, who I met in my travels. Always had an affinity for the place.