The bridle is excellent, both sides and double butts/bends. The butts have a classy factory finish, and burnish up nice, even take a stamp for edges pretty good.

The bridles sides I like a lot. I've managed some 8' reins out of them, and some nice belts for Big and Tall men.

Both feel like leather is supposed to, and considering the price compared to sedgewick, unbeatable for most applications. Last time I think it was in the $8 something range for me.

I haven't bought any chrome tan, but the other stuff I have bought, the picking through I did, wasn't too hard. He doesn't really mark the stuff on the shelf, so I can't tell the actual grading, but if it's tannery run, it's a good tannery. I bought a piece of 11oz skirting last week that worked up nice for some saddlebags I'm making.

All in all, so far, the stuff has been pretty good for me. I don't know about high end saddlework, but for us working stiffs it's better than I've bought elsewhere.

Like everywhere else don't go buying from a pallette that's running low. It's been picked through too well. Just ask him when new deliveries are due.

There have been times I've bought when his stock was low, I wasn't happy. But it forced me to pick through things, and I have found some gems, like the last full hide of horseleather he had left over from some run he bought that had been cooked up for Harley's motorcycle chaps, NICE hunk of leather. The best advice on this board so far is always CALL, don't just mail/internet order. The ladies are nice, and the kids are helpful, but TIM is the one who knows stuff.

I'm sure you can ask for samples, just like any good place. Within a week, I'll probably go up there, so if anyone wants me to check something specific, just PM me the numbers..be glad to do it for ya.

DON'T FORGET TO MENTION THIS FORUM! He's aware of us.....

RDB,

How is the selection of oiled chrome tan and bridle leather at Zack White's?

Ed

Does anyone know what the difference is between Fiebing's Edge Kote and Edge Enamel? Is Edge Enamel better for chrome tanned edges, while Edge Kote is better on veg tan? One source said that Edge Enamel is less viscous, which allows the pigments to seep deeper into leather, which might be nice on chrome tan.

I think I'm going to see if I can buy a bit of Reliable burnishing wax ink from a shoe repair shop to see how well it works before I invest in a variety of colors.

Ed

okay here is a small comparison. In this picture, I have edge dyed one part with black oil dye , burnished it with beeswax, and a topcoat of leather balm. not bad...

On the other side, was ONE coat of Zacks (maybe LCI) ..bright and shiny, and would easily fill in with two coats. No burnish, no topcoat. Pretty good stuff.

HPIM1087__Large_.jpg

post-5140-1209146242_thumb.jpg

okay here is a small comparison. In this picture, I have edge dyed one part with black oil dye , burnished it with beeswax, and a topcoat of leather balm. not bad...

On the other side, was ONE coat of Zacks (maybe LCI) ..bright and shiny, and would easily fill in with two coats. No burnish, no topcoat. Pretty good stuff.

Thanks for this post. I like the beeswax burnish better. Now LCI has the Dyo Edge Finish which is more of a matte. How well will the black oil dye/beeswax/leatherbalm work with two or three stitched layers.

I'm very anxious to see how well the reliable works.

Ultimately at my disposal I would like to have these methods:

1. Burnishing Wax ink

2. Edge Kote and beeswax (I'll have to try leather balm on top of that.

3. LCI/DYO matte edge finish

Ed

You need to skive the backer piece to a feather edge. glue the pieces down and sew.

Only just now did I understand this method. Brilliant.

Thanks.

Ed

The one called Reliable, i believe it's a Feibings product. It works real good for me...

I dye my edges, then burnish, if I'm not waxing the edge with beeswax, I use old Reliable...fills in the little dips and things quite nicely, two coats will fill in a pothole...lol then you burnish that stuff..shines up nice. It has wax in it.

I've not tried the Zack's stuff, but he has his on line of wholesale belts he uses it on, and that looks good too, but can't tell you from my experience, Next time I'm there I'll ask him for a small bottle to try.

Hi Dave,

I'm putting through an order with LCI and wanted to add some burnishing wax ink. I noticed that LCI's website states that their burnishing wax burnishes to a very high gloss finish. In your experience does the Reliable do the same? I'm looking for more of a matte finish.

Thanks,

Ed

Zack's Manual edge ink dries bright and shiny without burnish. Nice if that's what you want.

Reliable dries flat, and it takes a lot of burnish to get it to shine, even then, it's a flat shine. There is a wax in it, so the more you burnish, the smoother it can get... If you want it to shine, you have to coat it with leather balm, or tan kote, or something like that.

Sounds like Reliable might be what you want to try.

Zack's Manual edge ink dries bright and shiny without burnish. Nice if that's what you want.

Reliable dries flat, and it takes a lot of burnish to get it to shine, even then, it's a flat shine. There is a wax in it, so the more you burnish, the smoother it can get... If you want it to shine, you have to coat it with leather balm, or tan kote, or something like that.

Sounds like Reliable might be what you want to try.

I don't want it to shine. I've ordered four gallons of the LCI stuff and they should be sending me samples of their burnishing wax ink.

It does sound like the REliable is the way to go. if you have any pics of an edge with Reliable, could you post them?

I'll keep you updated on what I get form LCI. I've already posted the sampled edges I got back from them.

Thanks,

Ed

I have used Angelus, and Fiebings edge coatings on the belts I've made. They give a nice finish but both tend to wear off after a period of time. I would be interested to find a edge finish that will not wear off my belts after a year or so, is there such a edge finish out there ? I usually burnish my edges to a baby smooth gloss finish then apply the edge coating, am I doing it wrong ?

I should be getting my shipment of four gallons of the LCI Edge Ink any day now.

Unbeknown to me, It is being shipped COD. Is cash on hand the only way to pay for this, or may I pay by check or credit card. I'll call LCI today and ask.

I'm also getting black and brown samples of LCI's burnishing wax ink.

ed

This is just a thought I have never tried it, i don't have the skill, but in thought it should work and look neat

First skive down two edges and stick together, roll edges under so top leather curls then stick under and stitch like a border on the underedge, i think give a nice rounded edge BUT will leave raised edges underneath to allow the skin some room to breath when strap is closed, and stitching against the skin hmmm. my unenlightened 2d worth.

Because you are using a crome tanned leather you won't be able to rub it and to get the effect you want. So I see your only option with those materials would be a self polishing edge paint. Here is a link to a company that would have the product you need. This is a professional level product Fiebings would also have a version of it.

LCI has a $100.00 minnimum order but you might be able to have them sample you what you need or they might be able to give you a name of a Jobber. They just purchased Dyo, after their plant blew up, so they are pretty busy right now.

David Genadek

David,

Thanks for this post. I made my first order with LCI. Great Stuff.

Ed