Sign in to follow this  
MyNewHobby

Need Assistance

I could really use some help. I have leather scraps coming out of my ears and have no clue where to start.

In the past couple of weeks, I have tried a couple of what I thought were easy things only to screw them up and get frustrated.

I am also the kind of person that needs pictures (visual learner) that go along with the instructions for what is being made.

I have looked through a few of the threads and it seems most everyone here is way more advanced.

Right now, my tools are limited to a punch, studs, one pair of pretty sharp leather scissors, and that's about it.

I need something (a project) with training wheels to do. :blush:

Thanks All!

I am not a very experiance leather worker,

I started a couple years back with probably the same kind of material.

Depending on your goals, taste, the type of leather (and size of the pieces) you got many option:

basic bag, bracelet, cellphone pouches ...

new hobby.......make a trip to your local tandy store, have a look around and ask questions!

you will see a lot of beginner items that you should be able to use your scraps on.

dont forget to browse the books for patterns.

I could really use some help. I have leather scraps coming out of my ears and have no clue where to start.

In the past couple of weeks, I have tried a couple of what I thought were easy things only to screw them up and get frustrated.

I am also the kind of person that needs pictures (visual learner) that go along with the instructions for what is being made.

I have looked through a few of the threads and it seems most everyone here is way more advanced.

Right now, my tools are limited to a punch, studs, one pair of pretty sharp leather scissors, and that's about it.

Thanks All!

Hi there! Welcome to the neatest place on the internet.

Even the most advanced leather artist has been in your shoes at one time. Just be forewarned, leatherwork is an addiction, not a craft. You will probably want to get a second and third job to pay for your tools and materials. :)

I suggest reading these forums. They are a great source of ideas and inspiration to all of us. There are also quite a few tutorials that people have taken the time to do, and post here. I tell you, I have project ideas lined up till the day I die!

I would probably go to my nearest Tandy store, and buy an inexpensive leathercraft kit. These come with all of the tools and materials needed to complete the project. You also get directions, maybe a picture or two for reference, and some experience. You'll also get some cool tools to use on your scraps, and probably a few ideas to boot.

The store manager could probably give you an idea of the very basic tools needed for leather work, along with some of the basic instruction type books, such as project ideas, and techniques, stiching, lacing, etc. I suggest taking out a second mortgage on your home, and bring plenty of cash :)

Hope this was at least a little bit helpful.

Hilly

Oh goody!!

The minute I got the "Tandy" information I went looking for one and there is one very close to me.

I also had a look at their website and BOY ... I can get into some trouble there! :thumbsup:

Thanks all for the information!!! Maybe I will at least try to draw and/or cut some patterns this weekend to get my juices flowing.

Julie

Thanks All!

hi.

well, what are you trying/wanting to do with the tools/leather you have?

if you can, i would be looking for some of the leathercraft books out there there are. IF you want to make things, try:

> Novelity Coin Purses, by Stohlman

> making Leather Cases, by Stohlman Vol 1 of 3.

there are many books out there it all depends on what you want to do.

I also had a look at their website and BOY ... I can get into some trouble there! :thumbsup:

Julie

You don't even know the half of it. There is no known cure for leather bug bites, ask around here, there are some who have been dealing with their conditions for decades. :rofl:

If your leather is thin enough I'd start out with some key fobs. You don't have to go to Tandy to get the key rings, I got a bag of about 30 rings at Wal-Mart for about $3.50. From Tandy, get yourself some waxed thread, some tube rivets and a setter set and a couple of needles and let your imagination go. Bracelets are pretty much the same but you need to get some snap sets.

Just do a search on fobs and bracelets here and you can find some stuff that doesn't have any tooling on them.

Damon

Just be forewarned, leatherwork is an addiction, not a craft

I think Hilly is right, I started a couple week back and now Tandy's owner in Montreal call me by first name...