sfcdan

holster design with tactical light

I need to make a holster for my 1911 with an attached tactical light. Does any one have any ideas, pictures or designs? Any photos would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Daniel.

What function will the holster serve - Duty Holster, Concealed or plain clothes carry, or active response/drop leg holster, etc.?

Be aware also that you will have to make a dummy mold that simulates the width of the light all the way to the mouth of the holster, and that since the 1911 is so much thinner than the light, the trigger will be exposed to a degree. You also need to consider that the leather needs to be very stiff in order to keep its shape well enough to facilitate a smooth draw (a collapsed holster means a fowled draw, and you know that when you need your pistol, you REALLY need it).

I would actually consider using Kydex in this case, but of course the decision is yours.

Adding to what's already been asked and stated, kydex would work nice but this can be done with leather but it's a real project first off I need to know what kind of holster and how it will be worn and then I can get in to design this should be very interesting to see what ideas are thrown out here.

Josh

Thank for the replies, I plan carry my firearm concealed. I actually thought about Kydex, but given the fact that I've never worked with it, I've been staying away. I saw some videos and it seems its something i can work it, but I wanted to get different ideas for several holster types.

Daniel.

Kydex is a pretty forgiving material. It forms at relatively low temps and can be shaped and re-shaped many times. Give it a shot, it doesn't take too much practice to start getting good stuff.

Bronson

You might want to look at the May/June issue of American Handgunner, page 34 - there is a photo of a leather (real holster, IMHO) holster for a Springfield XD with tactical light, might give you some ideas-

Mackel

If you come up with a design, I would be interested. I hate taking my light off when I carry off duty. I have been down this road, and making a mold of the gun with the light is a PITA! At least it was for me. If anyone has any pointers for making the mold, that would probably prove useful to the conversation. I dont have a problem ruining a blue gun trying to make a mold, but I really don't want to ruin my light.

i also had a customer ask for a holster for a 1911 with tac light. I use kydex regularly in some of my holsters but this customer wants the holster as a shoulder rig......kydex wouldn't be right for this application i would think... racking by brain to figure it out in leather. if i come up with something i'll post it, but i am thinking my head may explode before that. :crazy:

If i can make kydex holsters, anyone can!

I made one for my Glock 22 with a Streamlight M3L attached...it wasn't very hard. I didn't use a mold, I just used my weapon and light and formed it by hand. It is an Askins style. I bought a Bianchi Vision 90 a while back, and it was OK, I just had some problems with the design...so I tried to improve on it. The Bianchi was too floppy with the single tunnel loop, so I added a belt slot on the rear. I also wasn't happy with how thin the leather was...the holster would collapse with no weapon in it.

I would love to add pictures, but I don't have access to a camera right now. Maybe later.

Last month I built a holster for a customer's Glock with a laser/lite. On line I kound a photo of this set up. I made a dummy laser/lite out of wood and taped it to the rail of my Blue Gun Mold. It worked out well.

Another customer is shipping me his laser tactical light combination. I will mount the light to a Beretta Storm Compact Blue Gun and do my design work. I will carve a piece of wood to duplicate the light and mount it to the Blue Gun. I will do my initial press and final molding with the "dummy" tactical light mounted on the Blue Gun.

Randy

thanks everyone for the replies, I was thinking of carving a tactical light made of wood. I think I need to make longer than the actual light itself so it covers the trigger guard so when I mold it, the holster will have the necessary round shape needed to let me draw the firearm. I keep researching to look for the perfect holster. Daniel.