Windom Leather

Rope Cans

Ive seen some work on rope cans and told myself I have just got to do some. I have googled and googled but can not find a supplier for them. Does anyone know where to get these things?

I used to get mine from Smith Brothers directly. Smith Brothers changed their wholesale deal around a little and made it harder for a guy like me to deal with them. It is not uncommon for them to be backordered, and then National Ropers Supply was the next choice. Previous experience taught me to not rely on either one for their estimated date to have them in stock. Before Christmas they were both out. I ordered what I could from Kings in Sheridan, WY. I ordered the rest from Willards (http://www.willardropes.freeyellow.com/bags.htm) and Jeanie was absolutely great to deal with too. I hit a deal on a shop going out of business right after that and got a good stockpile. When they are gone, Willards and Kings will be first call. If I gotta pay retail, it might as well be with folks I like.

Thanks for the info. I did find NRS and Smith Bros. and thought there might be a better supplier at wholesale, thats why I asked. If I read that right Bruce you say you can get them wholesale through Smith Bros? Just unreliable on the supply of them? I will go check out willards and kings now ans see what they have to offer. Thanks again Bruce and Steveh

Will

Will,

I can't make the minimums and meet the new criteria for wholesale at Smith Brothers anymore. They are the ones who get that style made, and they wholesale to places like NRS, Willards, etc. If Smith Brothers is backordered then the others might be low or out too. The phone operators can only tell you what they have been told about expected dates. When they do come in, the big accounts get them and rightfully so. The whole shipment might be gone because you are too low on the list.

Last year preChristmas I got some late orders mid Nov and figured I could do them. Called and Smith Bros and NRS were out. Anticipated dates would have worked but I knew better than to count on it. Kings sent me a couple they had sitting to insure that some of the shipped out cans were going to be here. I called Jeanie at Willards and she had a lot of them. Sounded like a family run outfit and I can appreciate that. She was very easy to deal with, and cost and shipping were more than reasonable. It sounds like she likes to keep a pretty good inventory. I ordered extra to have more on hand than usual too. Nothing against Smith Brothers (I have dealt with them almost from their start) and NRS has been good too, but you are talking to phone operaters. I have been a guest at Kings party in Sheridan, and Willards were friendly on the phone and went out of their way to get them to me.

Bruce

Thanks for the info ... that will come in handy. I'm wanting to try a rope can after Sept.

Where are you getting your handles or are you making them?

Happy tooling

Tim

Thanks again Bruce. I too like the idea of going with the smaller shops. I will probably give willards a call and start with them and work my way up to the big boys. I also have nothing against nrs and smith as my wife and I both have dealt with them on several occations and have no complaints. I just like to help out the smaller shops.