Rawhide

George Hurst and Hidecrafters

Just FYI for the leatherheads out there...

About a week ago, George was fired from Hidecrafters. The official word is that they couldn't afford him anymore. However, George is now employed at Tandy and is their Digital Product Manager.

He's doing well and is very happy. I resisted posting this last week when it happened, but didn't want a lot of folks bombarding George with calls. (probably still not a good idea). Anyway, George is doing great and we hope to see more of his creativity in the future.

Marlon

Marlon: didn't George start Hidecrafter? Did he sell out, or what? Regardless, that's awful!

russ

Their loss is Tandy's gain. I'll never forget his generosity to our 4H group. Great guy.

WOW :jawdropper:

What a catch for Tandy.

Thanks for sharing.

Marlon: didn't George start Hidecrafter? Did he sell out, or what? Regardless, that's awful!

russ

Russ, this has been in the cards for a while I think. George did start Hidecrafters, and several years ago, turned over the company to others, but stayed on as an employee. I don't want to talk out of school on the details, and I'm not 100% sure if all of my hear-say is accurate. But he has been out of the ownership for a while now.

And I'd like to echo the "big plus" for Tandy. A great opportunity for both!

Brent

Yes George did start HC in 1996. In and around 2007-08 timeframe, he sold it to a group of investors that were already in the leather game. They kept George on as Creative Director, until recently.

It will be a great loss for HC and a great gain for Tandy and the rest of the leather world. Just to keep George in and around leather is a blessing itself.

Marlon,

Ironic how things come full circle and George returns to Tandy.

Regards,

Ben

Amazingly ironic.

Marlon,

do you know if George is planning any new instructional DVDs?

i have just about all that he did with HC, but i would love to hear that he will continue.

anyway it's good to hear that he's doing well, and i think Tandy scored a winner.

when you see him again pass along our well wishes,

ken

Amazingly ironic.

Mixed emotions on his part I would imagine after all this time. He will certainly make the best of it.

Regards,

Ben

Ken,

I do believe he had been working on more videos. I think he has his own production business, so he's still able to do them. I wouldn't imagine that he'd stop.

Ben,

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of mixed emotions running wild, but he seems to be in stride and doing well.

According to George what he told me several weeks ago was that they did not renew his contract. So it is not that he was Fired as you stated. Quite a bit of difference when you are not a direct employee and when you are doing contract work! Employees get fired. Contractors whose contracts are not renewed are not considered Fired.

According to George what he told me several weeks ago was that they did not renew his contract. So it is not that he was Fired as you stated. Quite a bit of difference when you are not a direct employee and when you are doing contract work! Employees get fired. Contractors whose contracts are not renewed are not considered Fired.

Depending on the situation, that's just a matter of semantics ;)

I should know! :ranting2:

Edited by MHolzer

I can only repeat it the way it was told to me...But no matter how you look at it, layoff - fired - terminated - contract extention, what ever... the fact remains that employment is no longer.

Funny he's going back to the company that fired him in the '90's. Ofcoarse it was a different Tandy then.

Mark

Is he going to be working at one of the stores or the offices there on I-20?

Damon

Hi Damon,

He'll be at the offices.

Actually, George left tandy back when LF was starting up, and worked for them for a while. He actually came back to Tandy after a short stint with LF, and as most of us know, was instrumental in making leather craft fun, and profitable, and possible for many of us. He was fired by Tandy back in the 90's, and that's when he started HC. So really, he's not going back to Tandy, he's actually going back to LF! :) Funny how we seem to make big circles sometimes. I'm sure he'll be an asset to them, and I'm also sure that wherever he's at, we'll all benefit from his experience.

Kevin

marlon - thanks for the cleanup. I knew parts of it...

This topic is a BIG DEAL and looked at by everyone and noone has anything to say well I will WELCOME BACK GEORGE.

This Kicks major ass,

- Keith W. Oliver

IMG_2276___Copy.JPG

post-7115-1250818302_thumb.jpg