Keep reading posts about the length of time it takes to make vinegaroon, and I'm wondering what I did wrong. Mine was ready in one day. I am attaching pic of a holster I retrieved from "the box" and treated on the second day. This piece was only soaked for about a minute in the solution, then rinsed with baking soda and oiled with neatsfoot compound.

To make my batch, I took 0000 steel wool, soaked it in brake cleaner and burned until the flames went out, rinsed it in water and rung out the excess. Put it in a gallon milk jug and added a 1/2 gallon of Wal-Mart white vinegar and set in the sun. Every once in a while I would shake it a little bit.

It has now aged for a week and the second picture is of a project I'm working on that was treated in the same way.

IMG_6480.jpg

IMG_6482.jpg

post-11341-1250079523_thumb.jpg

post-11341-1250079546_thumb.jpg

The 'one week' suggestion is, as many things, just a rough rule of thumb. My vinegaroon was usable quickly too, and it's just gotten better with time. While the reaction to make ferric acetate starts immediately, it is also a continuing process, at least until the acid (vinegar) is used up.

Your choice of steel wool also sped up the process...steel wool = more surface area for the reaction. Give it some time and you will see that it still works as well, and the smell will be considerably reduced.

Mine was on the opposite end of the spectrum from both of yours. I had "extra fine" steel wool and some steel nails soaking in vinegaroon out in the Arizona heat for nearly three weeks before I had a usable solution! Finicky stuff, but the results are fantastic!

~Noah

.....and set in the sun

........heat speeds things up and very possibly the vinegar had a higher than normal acetic acid content/

Still while it can be speeded up I still prefer waiting longer even when the mix os apparently ready as the fumes off gas and you have less odor problems - with mine I like it when there is virtually no or no odor at all when you open the container - lack of odor also means that the acid is fully consumed.......I always have a replacement batch brewing container so there is never a lag time......

Mine used a half gallon of old white viniger that way laying around, along with some steel wool that the lettering had worn off the bags. I think that some of the "wool" was stainless steel, it didn't want to dissolve.

I think I've been branded that weird guy now though, I pocket found rusty nails and screws and bolts at work, many times during conversations with coworkers. I hope they are having fun speculating, it just adds to the myths.

Keep reading posts about the length of time it takes to make vinegaroon, and I'm wondering what I did wrong. Mine was ready in one day. I am attaching pic of a holster I retrieved from "the box" and treated on the second day. This piece was only soaked for about a minute in the solution, then rinsed with baking soda and oiled with neatsfoot compound.

To make my batch, I took 0000 steel wool, soaked it in brake cleaner and burned until the flames went out, rinsed it in water and rung out the excess. Put it in a gallon milk jug and added a 1/2 gallon of Wal-Mart white vinegar and set in the sun. Every once in a while I would shake it a little bit.

It has now aged for a week and the second picture is of a project I'm working on that was treated in the same way.

IMG_6480.jpg

IMG_6482.jpg

What is the concoction to use when utilizing the baking soda? and how is it used (dipped, soaked, etc.)? For how long?

What is the concoction to use when utilizing the baking soda? and how is it used (dipped, soaked, etc.)? For how long?

I just use the sinc and dissolve some soda in some warm water. Then I basically dip and shake the project in it for a few seconds. Not to long as I understand that the soda can switch the ph pretty quick. Then I rinse and let dry.