ryan

Why a leather holster is always better

I just saw this video in a training today. I've never been a fan of Kydex holsters to begin with, but this seals the deal!!

Ryan

Is that a particular brand or contruction method or might that happen with any?

Edited by JohnD

That's a Fobus paddle holster, and I think anyone could grab your gun if you just stood there and let them.

Makes a good point about being in control of your own weapon.

Couldn't help but watch this one (about shooting a .577) that came up just after seeing your's.

Shooting a .577

...interesting

Ryan, just to be the devil's advocate here, that's a fobus holster. It isn't made of kydex, but instead from two pieces of injection molded plastic riveted together. Kydex is much better, but more expensive too. I guess you get what you pay for.

I have used the fobus holsters before with some close quarters scenario training and had somewhat similar results to the post above. They are great range holsters, but I cringe when I see police officers or civilians utilize them for concealed carry.

I tend to agree about not standing there and letting it happen, but I'm also not going to make a blanket statement that whoever lets that happen doesn't know what they're doing. I've never met anyone yet who couldn't be disarmed or have their weapon removed from their holster during a stressful simulated confrontation, whether wearing leather, kydex or otherwise.

Now, all that having been said, I love leather holsters and I think they are a superior product for the largest majority of applications.

I like leather holsters of course :cheers:

"Give me leather or give me death" :evillaugh:

Randy

I think the operative part of this conversation is CONCEALED carry.

Keep in mind that the guy is standing there with the pistol fully exposed and his arm out of the way to facilitate the "Grab". In the REAL world the holstered pistol is concealed, meaning out of sight so a jacket or shirt would be in the way and I somehow doubt that many people walk around with their right arm held out of the way.

Did the holster fail, sorta, the pistol is still not in a condition to be instantly fired the trigger is still covered requiring that the holster part be removed from the pistol before it can be used.

What we're also failing to consider it the technique used by the guy wearing the gun when the grab is initiated. A left elbow to the side of the head as he turned his gun side away from the attempt would be a lot more effective than the half hearted attempt to hang on to his pistol.

Frankly, while we all saw what happened, keep in mind that we also saw EXACTLY what the filmmaker wanted us to see. I make sheaths out of both Kydex and Leather. I've likely made 5,000 kydex sheaths and NEVER had one fail to retain the knife.

Is leather better? Depends on what you want it to do. If I'm going to be in a wet environment for YEARS at a time, leather wouldn't be my choice, I'd want kydex. If we're talking about a fine quality knife or a classic design, then I'm first going to look at leather.

Different Horses for different courses....

I agree with the above also. Differnt tool for a different job. When I am patroling in the winter with lots of snow and wet I am just much better off with a quality man-made material all around.

I have heard of the breaking holster and the jabbing release but I think that the hype is greater than the actual. That being said, I still would not carry the Serpa until they figure out a fix.

I obviously have a preference to leather.

I don't think this has nothing to do with kydex vs. leather...it's whatever setup is used to hold on to the belt. Some of those kydex clips that hold on to the belt are made thinner than other kinds of clips to help with the concealed aspect.

The same problem could be made to happen with a lot of leather holsters that use snaps or clips on the belt.

There's nothing like a sewn/riveted/screwed belt loop...all them snaps and clips bother me. It does add a bit to the thickness, but for safety...

The video presented a "worst case scenario", I think. But, I gotta agree with most of what's written above- use the right material for the application, and anyone can be disarmed given the right circumstances.

P.S. I prefer leather...it's purdy-er.

I too agree with most of the above posts. The posting of the video was mostly to be humorous. I will say that I did not realize that Fobus Holsters were not Kydex. I will be more than happy to accept Boomstickholsters statement about Kydex being a superior material vs what Fobus uses.

Obviously, the video was intended to show how that particular product could fail and says nothing for the proper gun control methods we all exercise. However, I continue to see people (cops and otherwise) openly carry with these types of setups and it makes me nervous. That being said, I use open top holsters on occasion, however, I carry them concealed. I have been seeing a lot of these new holsters with the snaps on the belt loops so that the holster can be placed on the belt without having to thread it on. I for one believe that these products are sacrificing safety for convenience. JMO

Ryan

I have been seeing a lot of these new holsters with the snaps on the belt loops so that the holster can be placed on the belt without having to thread it on. I for one believe that these products are sacrificing safety for convenience. JMO

Ryan

If you are referring to the potential of pulling the holster/gun off the belt and the snaps breaking loose, if you will, then the use of "pull the dot, one way snaps", will cure that in nearly every instance.

The material used in holsters and knife sheaths should be what is called Kydex 100. It is very very tough. The failure point is not the kydex but is the hardware used to attach the pieces together.

Both leather and kydex have thier places. For EDC I will chose leather every time for guns and folding knives but I want kydex for fixed blades. When I fly I carry in a kydex shoulder rig from Survival Sheath Systems. Helicopter cockpits get very hot and we sweet ALOT. Armpit sweet and a leather shoulder holster do not go well together LOL.

That being said, you can not base the performance of Kydex from that Fobus. I have seem Fobus holsters break from sitting wrong. And as was said, it is not even Kydex but injection molded PVC.

The material used in holsters and knife sheaths should be what is called Kydex 100. It is very very tough. The failure point is not the kydex but is the hardware used to attach the pieces together.

I have to agree. This is a 2 piece holster. The holster is mounted to the beltloop or paddle assmbly with a couple of screws. Not withstanding the poor retention techmiques depicted in the video, the holster was twisted off the mount.

Randy