Sign in to follow this  
sheridanman

elephant legal skins supplier

hi guys!

want to know if anyone knows where to get elephant skins maybe the ear part if thats legal. although im not sure if thats even legal unless the animal died. i have seen biker wallets and some pool cue cases made with this skin and its really beautiful! wanted to make stuff with it hopefully, anyone? thanks!!

cheers

Hey, Sheridanman,

I'm fairly confident that if you start cutting or pounding on the ear of an elephant that isn't dead you probably won't have to worry about the legality of the issue... Elephants can resolve their own problems! LOL

Ray

...im not sure if thats even legal unless the animal died.

Hey, Sheridanman,

I'm fairly confident that if you start cutting or pounding on the ear of an elephant that isn't dead you probably won't have to worry about the legality of the issue... Elephants can resolve their own problems! LOL

Ray

Ray, I think elephants may come with long widgets!

Tony.

Ray, I think elephants may come with long widgets!

Tony.

Enough!

Ray

One of my friends was at John Fong's in San Francisco a couple weeks ago and he had several ears. You might also contact Jerry VanAmburg, I have bought some from him. I got some nice elephant a couple years ago from GH in Houston too.

You can get it from Springfield leather as well.

You can get it here, Ostrich Market . I just picked some up Saturday.Dave

I don't get high end customers very often, but I'm wondering what it runs per foot, and what quanitity you need to purchse (surely not a full side)

Ian,

I got some a year ago for $20/ft. A recent price was $30/ft.

A few things I have been told about elephant, and anyone can chime in if it is not quite right. Some guys prefer the ears because they have more texture. When they are split though you can have some pinholes or thin spots with some. You can buy "panels" which are parts of a side. Some panels are full grain. Other panels are splits that come off the top grain. They can then emboss the splits with an "elephant pattern" and still call it genuine elephant. It would be different if they embossed the same pattern on cowhide and then tried to call it elephant. I had a guy show me the embossed elephant split vs. the real top gain, and it sure was a stretch to try to tell the difference. That is where a reputable supplier relationship is probably a bonus, not just the price.

:16: Bruce hit it right.I believe it is between $30-$40 a square foot( I don't really know because I don't pay retail with him) and he will cut you a section out. The ears are the best for most purposes and if your going to be paying top dolar get the best you can.Dave

hi guys!

want to know if anyone knows where to get elephant skins maybe the ear part if thats legal. although im not sure if thats even legal unless the animal died. i have seen biker wallets and some pool cue cases made with this skin and its really beautiful! wanted to make stuff with it hopefully, anyone? thanks!!

cheers

Try Van Amburg Leather. They have ray, elephant, and hippo as well as most anything else.

hi guys!

cheers

Sheridanman I just got off the phone with Jerry at Van Amburg Leather. He has elephant and hippo and frog and all kinds of exotics .The number is 208-785-0800 The guys name is Jerry. tell him you heard about him on leatherworkers.net and maybey we can get him to run an ad banner on the site. He has a lot of exotics to chose from. Try it. Gary