Can I put Neat-Lac over a wallet back that I used antique gel on?

I use Fiebings antique paste and neat-lac works well on top of it. Not sure about other brands.

Aaron

Clear-lac gives a very nice satin top finish as well. Its what I've started to use now that I can't get Neat-lac anymore.

Ross

Thanks for the responses, I have a can of Neat-Lac that my grandfather left me when he passed away. It smells awfull but it gives a nice glossy finish. I was not sure if it was ok to use on top of antique gel. Thanks.

Neat-lac is a great product to use on wallets, it is one of the tougher finishes. Butt sweat can really mess up a nice wallet fast, it at least slows down the darkening process.

Do I just put one coat on or should I put more on?

Dustin,

Apply your NeatLac with a piece of trimmed woolskin. Multiple light coats are preferrable. Your first coat should be applied lightly and carefully to avoid picking up the antique. The antique should be dry, well polished and there should be no residue left. After you have one coat on, the leather is sealed and the next coats are much easier to apply. If you don't want a high sheen....rub it in a little as it dies.

I spoke directly with LSI, the company that makes ClearLac and verified that ClearLac is NeatLac. They even have left over NeatLac labels sitting there at the plant.

Hope this helps.....

Bobby

Dustin,

Apply your NeatLac with a piece of trimmed woolskin. Multiple light coats are preferrable. Your first coat should be applied lightly and carefully to avoid picking up the antique. The antique should be dry, well polished and there should be no residue left. After you have one coat on, the leather is sealed and the next coats are much easier to apply. If you don't want a high sheen....rub it in a little as it dies.

I spoke directly with LSI, the company that makes ClearLac and verified that ClearLac is NeatLac. They even have left over NeatLac labels sitting there at the plant.

Hope this helps.....

Bobby

Thanks Bob, I appreciate you and others spending time to help me with all of my rookie questions. Without your help I would be lost. Thank You very much.

Is Tandy's the place to get clearLac??

Edited by frontpost

The Neat-Lac I have came from Tandy but I dont think they sell it anymore. I looked through the catalog and did not see any. Mine was passed down to me, but not purchased recently.

Springfield leather. click on the banner at the top

Thanks

Still looking for Clear Lac...

I didn't see the Clear Lac on the Springfield site...they list "Pro Clear", which their copy states is "very similar" to Tandy's Super Shene (which I have found inferior to Neat Lac).

Since the demise of Neat Lac, my projects just haven't turned out the way that I would like them...

Can anyone asist?

Panhandle Leather in Amarillo carries it.

Panhandle Leather

Regards,

Ben

Thanks, Ben.

Based on a reference to Panhandle during my previous research of this topic, I checked their website prior to posting my inquiry above.

Their website lists no "finishing" products; do they stock items that they don't list on their website?

They probably do, so I will give them a call.

Thanks for the help!

They do carry it and yes they don't have a lot of their items on the web page. Just give them a call.

Regards,

Ben