Regis

Spcial order - new to me

Got an unusual special order today at gunshow. Guy wants holster for his P226 to fit on (attach to) his seatbelt (at post on drivers side). Sooo, basically the strap will go top to bottom with slight angle in holster and be snap on.

Anyone ever done one of these?

Regis

Edited by Regis

I've never done one, but I have thought about it. My biggest concern was how to make sure the holster didn't slide on the belt when the weapon was drawn.

I've never done one, but I have thought about it. My biggest concern was how to make sure the holster didn't slide on the belt when the weapon was drawn.

hummm....you're right because it would have to slide to enable seatbelt to connect and release.... perhaps the rubberize peices that keep thing from sliding around on table inside the belt loops against the belt. The other thing is how much bounce would there be....I guess it would depend on weight of gun. Sure would not want it to knock out the driver on a bumpy road.

Thinking about this, more, in my car, it would be better to put a 2 or 3 screw-in snaps in the post (like boat tops connect to windshield). Then the other side of snaps in the holster.

I'll have to ask him these before building the holster. I did plan on making the color somewhat match the car interior so as to not be tooo obvious.

Thanks for kicking this around.

Regis

This is an interesting project.

I don't like using clips on my holsters for various reasons. But, I've had a good customer of mine ask me to build him a holster with a clip so he could show his neighbors. He lives out in rural farmland and his neighbors all like to clip their gun/holster to their seatbelt or some other area when their driving their tractors. But, they like the ability to quickly remove the entire rig when they change vehicles.

I've also considered a car mounted holster and thought that covering the outside of the holster in the soft velcro material might work if the hook material was mounted somewhere else (i.e. center console/under dash, etc). I guess you'd just have to make sure there's enough flat surface area on the holster to get a good purchase on the hook material. This might be an option for you if the customer is willing to add some velcro material to his seat belt.

...just a thought.

Got an unusual special order today at gunshow. Guy wants holster for his P226 to fit on (attach to) his seatbelt (at post on drivers side). Sooo, basically the strap will go top to bottom with slight angle in holster and be snap on.

Anyone ever done one of these?

Regis

regis I have never built one myself, but have seen them installed in cars, the ones I have seen were fasten above the belt on the the top hanger, so it was stationary, the biggest problem i could see was safety factor for the back seat rider if installed in a passenger car, the barrel was pointed up at an angle towards the back seat with the grip angled down for the driver to pull it free, my concern with it was if the car was hit on the driver side in an accident, could the gun fire n possible hit whom ever in the back seat

I'd have to agree with kfiretwo with regards to safety...

Edited by JoelR

I want to see what develops with this. What I'm getting is the customer wants a holster mounted crossdraw (on the drivers side lower post), that the seat belt slides through.