Dolphini

Stamp then dye or dye then stamp

Hi all,

If I am planning to dye a belt I want to stamp a design onto which do I do first? Stamp or dye?

Help?

Hi all,

If I am planning to dye a belt I want to stamp a design onto which do I do first? Stamp or dye?

Help?

Case your leather (properly wet) then stamp. I let mine dry completely before dying, antiquing, or finishing.

Regis

Definitely stamp, then dye......lately I've been dyeing while the work is still wet from stamping...the wet leather means the pores are opened some for better dye penetration....works for me anywayz.:red_bandana:

Thank you both for your reply. The answers lead to another question! I was told you just damp the surface of the leather before you stamp just wet enough that it starts to change color, but from the posts I have read and your answers it siounds s if the leather is wetter than that! How wet should I make it?

Thank you both for your reply. The answers lead to another question! I was told you just damp the surface of the leather before you stamp just wet enough that it starts to change color, but from the posts I have read and your answers it siounds s if the leather is wetter than that! How wet should I make it?

This is one of those questions that if you line up 12 people, you'll get 12 different answers.

I do mostly smaller sized projects, belts, holsters, knife sheaths, etc.....When I'm about ready to start stamping, I hold the leather under running water till both sides are wet....not soaked, just wet.....let access water run off then set it on the table to dry out just a little....there's a fine line about how dry it should be before starting to stamp....but it is almost back to dry looking b4 I start...then I continue to keep the leather damp with a wet towel as I work......

You'll hear/read about "casing" leather, meaning to soak it then store it in a plastic bag for a certain amount of time b4 working with it....never done that so can't speak to it much. I just do what works for me and my situation.

One thing for sure....you can't stamp when the leather is soaking/spongy wet, nor when it's too dry......got to "hit it" when it's at the stage of drying out that suites you and when you get the result you like....that comes with time in.