Sign in to follow this  
troy

need some suggestions for a big knot.

Got a viking style drinking horn I'm working on and have had the great idea of using knots top and bottom for the shoulder strap. The bottom is quite narrow and I have ideas for a pineapple in that place, but the top has a circumferance of 25cm - working with 5mm lace I worked it out the top knot would need roughly 35-36 bights to cover it. I also thought it would be great to do a heel type knot using 4 strands, meaning I could use the 8 end laces to make the strap with - crasy I know.

My question is, would a 5 part 9 bight turks head be OK to do interweaves on - I am looking at the 5 parts as I don't really want to end up making a long knot which would cover up all the nice shiny horn I've spent ages polishing. Any idea's?

Paul

Hi Paul.

Maybe a photo of the horn would help me out a bit. I love to eyeball stuff and then determine the best route to success.

Have you got your package yet?

Brian...

Got a viking style drinking horn I'm working on and have had the great idea of using knots top and bottom for the shoulder strap. The bottom is quite narrow and I have ideas for a pineapple in that place, but the top has a circumferance of 25cm - working with 5mm lace I worked it out the top knot would need roughly 35-36 bights to cover it. I also thought it would be great to do a heel type knot using 4 strands, meaning I could use the 8 end laces to make the strap with - crasy I know.

My question is, would a 5 part 9 bight turks head be OK to do interweaves on - I am looking at the 5 parts as I don't really want to end up making a long knot which would cover up all the nice shiny horn I've spent ages polishing. Any idea's?

Paul

Hi Paul.

Maybe a photo of the horn would help me out a bit. I love to eyeball stuff and then determine the best route to success.

Have you got your package yet?

Brian...

Hi Brian

Not got it yet, hope it's not caught up in another of our imfamous postal strikes. This knot I got planned could be a hell of a way to break it in, so to speak!

Have been thinking about this knot again and perhaps just a simple 36 bight pineapple will do but still worried about the length - the picture below so you can see for your self - this would also mean that it could match the lower knot which I guess would only need a normal 16 or so bights - might actually try them as guacho and have the interweave running the other way.

DSCF6358.JPG

don't know if it's important but the capacity of this horn is 1 litre.

post-182-125316903491_thumb.jpg

Edited by troy

How about something similar to a wider then normal hat band. Below is an image of a knot on a rock that is a turks head interweave but done so the foundation is essentially 4 knots wide across the horizontal. You could then put as many parts in it as you need to make it wider.

DSCN3740.JPG

Just a suggestion, John

post-9931-125320175298_thumb.jpg

Edited by LBbyJ

Hi Paul.

What size lace are you planning on using for the top and bottom?

What type of lace are you wanting to use? Roo, Raw, Smooth Calf Skin -- ect.

Brian...

Cheers for the suggestions, love that knot LB. And KH, I'll be using thin latigo (5mm wide) as it's all I got at the moment and have decided to use the 5 x 9 wide turks then try 4 interweaves. Just had to cut a bit off a round fence post for the mandrel - will post with succesful or failed results!!!

Sorry to hear that another excellent braider has pasted away - am ashamed to say I had never heard of him but would be interested in carrying on his work if any of you ever managed to order the CD's.

Just got it finished - used the 5 x 9 as stated before - used 3 strings on the top knot and 2 on the bottom and the strap is 6 x snake looking braid (from ron's adv book). Did attach the strap with a concho, not technically viking but Im technically not viking either!!

drinking horn.JPG

post-182-125336866147_thumb.jpg

Looks great, very Norse. I think the Concho looks as though it bolongs.

Nice work, John

This is just personal preference but I don't like the look of that lower knot, I would have recommended using the same knot for each end, using a smaller lace on the bottom.

The top is very docorative looking and the bottom to me seems crushed or something.

I love the horn and strap though. Nicely done.