leatheroo

Kangaroo skin

Does anyone know how much lacing i would get from a roo hide if i cut it at 6mm(1/4inch)? Trying to work out if it is worth doing it this way...i can get a hide for about $80..i am paying $35 for 20 meters (65ft) of 6mm, but i can buy 100 meters of 3mm for about $70.

thanks

I don't have an answer for you as far as the number of feet or meters. I do know that you will be able to cut lots more lace for your $80 than you can buy for that amount. I bought a small hide and started to cut my own lace. I cut about 70 feet of 1/8 inch and that was only about five times around the hide. It is very rewarding cutting your own lace. You can also cut what you need when you need it.

I would recommend you get a hide and try it at least once. I will tell you that you need patience when cutting your own lace. I started out cutting my own rawhide lace in 1993 and just now started on roo hide. Let us know what you decide.

Definitely go for the hide. I too haven't kept track of how much I get out of a hide, but it's way more than I could afford to buy already spooled. You're assured of NO splices and you can cut whatever width your heart desires.