Sign in to follow this  
phillipsimsleatherwork

Wichita Falls Roundup!

I just got back from the show. It was AWESOME!!!! I have been wanting to go to that one for a couple years now but never was able to. I was real nice to be around so many people that enjoy the same things you do. The vendors were really great and had more custom tools than you can imagine. The boot and saddle contest entries were amazing as well. The floral masters class saddles were beautiful. I got to meet Jesse Smith and talk to him for a while. What a nice guy. I watched some engraving at the GRS booth. The people at the Herman Oak booth were real nice and helpful. Wayne Jueschke had some real nice mauls and a lot of nice stamps. I got some GREAT advice from the guys over at Douglas Tools!!! I got my first edition of Shop Talk which i was very surprised I had no idea existed!!!!!!! Great magazine! Got to see Greg Carmack and talk to him for a while. Hes from my hometown so it was nice to see him again. Just a great time overall!!!!!!!

Did anyone else go???

I just got back from the show. It was AWESOME!!!! I have been wanting to go to that one for a couple years now but never was able to. I was real nice to be around so many people that enjoy the same things you do. The vendors were really great and had more custom tools than you can imagine. The boot and saddle contest entries were amazing as well. The floral masters class saddles were beautiful. I got to meet Jesse Smith and talk to him for a while. What a nice guy. I watched some engraving at the GRS booth. The people at the Herman Oak booth were real nice and helpful. Wayne Jueschke had some real nice mauls and a lot of nice stamps. I got some GREAT advice from the guys over at Douglas Tools!!! I got my first edition of Shop Talk which i was very surprised I had no idea existed!!!!!!! Great magazine! Got to see Greg Carmack and talk to him for a while. Hes from my hometown so it was nice to see him again. Just a great time overall!!!!!!!

Did anyone else go???

I was ther it was a really great show and alot of great vendor booths. I finally got a Cobra sewing machine the customer service I recieved was what sold me on the machine. I went by three other vendor booths they didn't seem to care that I was looking at there machines. I had plenty of questions but no one would help. It was my first experiance going to a show like that I would recommend it to everyone. Over all it was a great expirance.

I was ther it was a really great show and alot of great vendor booths. I finally got a Cobra sewing machine the customer service I recieved was what sold me on the machine. I went by three other vendor booths they didn't seem to care that I was looking at there machines. I had plenty of questions but no one would help. It was my first experiance going to a show like that I would recommend it to everyone. Over all it was a great expirance.

[/qu

I was there on Sat. Wow! A lot of talent shown off.!! I met Gary Winkler there and had a good visit. Good to meet you Gary. Gary had a real nice saddle entered. A really nice Wade that looked like it would sure ride good. Nice saddle. Troy West had an exceptional saddle there also. I wasn't the only one that really liked it too. We watched a man take at least 100 pictures of it. I would really be proud to put one of Troy's saddles on my own horses. It was a good show and we enjoyed it and stopped at Bill's Catfish place across the Red River and nearly foundered ourselves on the way back to Oklahoma. Later, Ronny

Yeah it was a great show. I was a little disappointed with the customer service in a few booths too. I feel like I wasn't taken seriously because i'm only 25. They kinda looked past me to the older men there. Kind of annoying. I wanted to buy a few things at a couple of booths and no one would help...so I went and got it from another booth.hahah. Oh well. Otherwise and AWESOME show!!!!! Ive never been to one and that one was a great experience!

Good job to those who organized the event and congrats to the winners of the boot and saddle contest!!!!!

Did anyone take pictures they could post? Love to see some of those saddles!

I went as well. King's X and I roamed the place for 2 days! Most of the vendors were awesome and helpful. I too bought a machine from Cobra Steve.

I got it home and am itching to get to stitchin!

Overall I had a great time and will be back next year.

Allen

As Big Papa said, we both went to the show and spend two full days on our feet just wondering around. The first day, it was kids in a Toys R Us store. I could hear the theme from Close Encounters of the Third Kind playing loudly in the back ground. Oh yea!

I had been speaking with Lana Smith in hopes of meeting her husband Chuck, but late last week I found out he was not coming. She later told BP and I that he has to stay back because he was starting a commission piece for Eric Clapton. He is an old floral master and I wanted to pick his brain a little. As we walked over to the Smith booth, we ran into Lonnie from Barnes-Hackbarth tools. He was nothing like I imagined from our conversations on the telephone phone. Very nice man.

We finally made it to the Smith booth and we received warm welcome not only from Lana, but Ron from Ron's Tools. The first thing Lana did was give BP and I a book on Floral design, carving and stamping from a class that Chuck did with some other masters in California. What a nice gift. Ron was proudly showing me his new laser centering saddle jig. It look really high tech and as he explained it to me, he lost me.

We moved on to the GRS booth and observed Mr. Jeremiah Watt engraving away. He looked really busy, so we didn't bother him. We continued on and ran into Ron from Hidecrafters around the first turn. He wanted me to pass on to all those in LW world that he has about 35 PA004's left (medium pebblers) from an order of 200. So if you are looking for one, better call. He had plenty of PA002 & PA005's left.

We ran into Cobra Steve and Art VH. We received very warm welcome. Hell, he made me want to buy a machine! On turn 3, we ran into Bob Beard's booth where we stopped while I texted Rickyfro for his tool order. Of course, Beard was out of the crazy leg period and said that he will be out until the end of 2010. Sorry Rickyfro bro. It didn't look like he had many tools with him, but he had all of his samples.

At the end, we ran into Barry King and man, he had a lot of tools there, but we refused the temptation and moved on. On turn 4, we went on to Wayne's world. He also had a crap load of tools, very unsual tools and designs. He said that he likes to design tools that no one else has and boy does he.

Later on in the day, Lana Smith invited BP and I to join her and some friends for dinner at McBride's Steakhouse. Little did BP and I know that her "company" turned out to be Jeremiah Watt and his wife, Ron from Ron's tools, and Don Butler! I was able to speak with Mr. Watt one on one about carving and stamping and a little saddle work. We had a wonderful dinner showing off our pictures and getting free critiques and tips on improving our work. Wow what a night!

I was tired and BP and I called it a night.

The next day, I spent the entire morning and mid day taking pictures and talking to all of the vendors. I explained to them my connection with LW and how we have members from all over the world who would love to have a list of vendors. So, each of them were nice enough to give me their contact information and allow me to take a picture of their products. They welcome anyone from LW that is in need of an item that they carry to call just call and they will try their best to help out.

Anyways, I must have taken about 500 pictures. I haven't gone through them to see how many I ruined, but I will get some of them up soon. I will also compile a list of vendors that I will post for anyone looking for a particular product.

The only complaint was the "shine on" I received from one vendor. Not someone that sells a product, but is closely tied to leather work and provides a service. Maybe it was my shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes. Oh yea, I looked out of place there!! Long story, not worth telling it again. Other than that, it was worth the 6 hour drive and $$$$ spent on tools. I do wish that I would have purchased one of Barry's modelers for embossing and the benchtop stitching clamp from Douglas tools? Oh well, I just plain forgot about it.

Stay tune to the pictures.

Thanks for the show report and looking forward to the pictures. Sounds like you met some of the great people in this business. You guys have got me stoked to go. One question, You didn't buy anything from Barry or Wayne?? This is the first time in a few years I haven't had something on my Barry King list and the only reason for that is I just saw him last weekend. I can't call Wayne to BS without having him send me something. I am not immune to their wiley charms. My wife will want to know your secret.

Bruce,

To clarify... On the FIRST pass he, nor I bought anything.

But the second, third and fourth trips through we did.

Boy did we. I bought a sewing machine the first evening and that took a hunk of tooling tool money out of the picture.

I picked up a couple of Wayne's geometrics, King's X got ALOT if Barry's stuff. LOL

Plus I bought quite a few conchos, and other stuff.

Allen