TexasJack

Reverse a seam?

Thought I'd try a case for a new phone. (My now-dead phone was a flip-type that fit in my pocket.) So I came up with a simple design and built a prototype. The idea was to sew the seams and then reverse the whole thing. But when I flipped it inside out, the seams look terrible. I suspect I'm missing a step and thought I'd ask for some directions. Should I be creasing the seam first?

Texasjack. It's a bit hard to see what you mean without a pic but generally a seam will need to be "dressed". This means that you will need to rub them flat or if the leather is a bit thicker you can gently tap the seam with a hammer.

Barra

Hi TJ and Barra,

Another way is to put a corded welt in the seam which is used to hide the stitches (or cover-up a multitude of sins).

Art

Texasjack. It's a bit hard to see what you mean without a pic but generally a seam will need to be "dressed". This means that you will need to rub them flat or if the leather is a bit thicker you can gently tap the seam with a hammer.

Barra

Yeah, I've got to dig out the camera (that I carefully put away somewhere....)

The only things I've worked on - like sheaths and holsters - have visible seams. Those who make bags and purses and such no doubt understand the nuances of reversing the seam much more than me. And you make it look easy.

So when I saw phone cases selling for $40, I thought, "Why should I spend the money? I should be able to do that."

First problem was not having a pattern to start with. But I had seen the ones in the phone store, so I could generate something close. I made a wooden block for a form. (It never bothered me if a little water made it through the plastic cover onto a knife, but I suspect the phone might be hard to dry out.) I dug out a piece of scrap leather to make a prototype and roughed out the design and did a quick job of sewing it. The instant I flipped it, I realized something was missing from my knowledge database.

But that's OK. Part of the fun of life is learning new things.

OK, found the camera. As you can see, I really roughed out a design on a piece of scrap leather. If you look at the seam after it was inverted, you can see how really, really bad it looks. True, I didn't spend a lot of time trying to get the seam really straight.

If I understand the earlier response, I need to wet and rub the seam very flat. Or use a corded welt. (Covering a multitude of sins sounds pretty attractive to me, BTW!) Or, go with a different design.

After going this far, I hate to give it up before I understand what I'm doing wrong.

Seam1.jpg

Seam2.jpg

post-4766-125626853711_thumb.jpg

post-4766-125626856112_thumb.jpg

Hola TJ - give me a call sometime and I'll be glad to esplain (Tex/Mex for explain) what you done "wrong" and how to fix it - BTW I heard from our mutual amigo Major JT a while back....phone number is 970-259-8396 would be good to talk at you.......

Edited by ChuckBurrows

Hi TJ,

You need to skive the seams back to get some of the bulk out to use that method. Thick leather doesn't fold very well as you have found out.

Art

OK, found the camera. As you can see, I really roughed out a design on a piece of scrap leather. If you look at the seam after it was inverted, you can see how really, really bad it looks. True, I didn't spend a lot of time trying to get the seam really straight.

If I understand the earlier response, I need to wet and rub the seam very flat. Or use a corded welt. (Covering a multitude of sins sounds pretty attractive to me, BTW!) Or, go with a different design.

After going this far, I hate to give it up before I understand what I'm doing wrong.

Yeah, Chuck, I also heard from Cap Maj J. He must have been in one of those moods this week.

Just wanted to say "Thanks" to Chuck Burrows for spending some quality time to help me find my way. Not only one of the most talented guys I know, but also one of the nicest.

This would be my opinion, when you either punch holes or use your four,three,two,one chisels make your lines of stitching extremely straight, and when you sew make it hurt! what that is, sew with a lot of strength to keep it tight. Get it wet when stitching as well, it helps in the form/mold process. This is in no way critisizing your things, we all learn some way or another. The difficult way is where i went and actually have slowed down with the impatience, which is great for me to do

... This is in no way critisizing your things....

Oh, no! There's PLENTY to criticize on this piece!! I'm just glad I tried to do it on a piece of scrap and didn't waste a good piece of leather. The one in the picture was never intended to be used, just to work out a usable pattern. People who can't take constructive criticism will never learn anything new.

After having the phone for awhile, I think I might try a different design anyway. But I am going to work on this sort of seam a bit and try to improve, just so I can say I understand what I'm doing with it. I really do appreciate the information that's been passed on to me.

Since I made a wood form for this, that should help with whatever I finally come up with.

Right on , I learned from extreme critcyzm and it was a great way to learn my main side job is tooling the harley bar and shield along with a reserve "r" for people who are so critical that they don't realize they are getting harley things tooled from a wacko who only loves jap crap chops. The only reason they don't know is because I don't go by this name there, Merely a subcontractor who is "that guy" . when you do work for detail furious types, it teaches you if you can take it. Aparently i can